Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP moving up the ranks question  (Read 5881 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
BJCP moving up the ranks question
« on: May 01, 2014, 06:26:59 am »
I'm a bit confused by exactly what exams are required to move up to National. I don't have enough experience points yet but I can't really figure out what exams are required.
Can someone please fill me in on what exams are necessary? 
Thanks.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: BJCP moving up the ranks question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:30:56 am »
I think I found it, didn't scroll down far enough on the site. Need to take the written proficiency exam next. Now to find one in Canada....

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 06:43:11 am »
I think I found it, didn't scroll down far enough on the site. Need to take the written proficiency exam next. Now to find one in Canada....

The BJCP is moving to having quarterly regional written exams. That means that you should be able to find one more easily and the grader pool isn't as stressed.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 07:01:33 am »
I'm a bit confused by exactly what exams are required to move up to National. I don't have enough experience points yet but I can't really figure out what exams are required.
Thanks.
You need at least a score of 80 on your tasting exam and 10 points to be able to take the written exam.  The average score between your tasting exam and written exam then need to be 80+ in order to get to national rank (which also requires you have 20 judging points)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 07:38:50 am »
Thanks.
You need at least a score of 80 on your tasting exam and 10 judging points to be able to take the written exam.  The average score between your tasting exam and written exam then need to be 80+ in order to get to national rank (which also requires you have 20 judging experience points)
10 points for National can be from stewarding, staffing, etc. But you must have all 10 of the required judging points to take the written exam.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 03:45:40 pm »
I created this flow chart to help some interested in my homebrew club to more quickly understand the exam process without having to dig it out from the BJCP documents. If the version in the post is too small to read, you can see a bigger version on the web page I use to give info on the exams I administer here: https://sites.google.com/site/arizonabjcpexams/home. I find it useful to visualize processes like this.

Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 03:48:11 pm »
Can I steal that graphic and share on the BJCP Facebook page? All credit will be given to you.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 04:23:23 pm »
I created this flow chart to help some interested in my homebrew club to more quickly understand the exam process without having to dig it out from the BJCP documents. If the version in the post is too small to read, you can see a bigger version on the web page I use to give info on the exams I administer here: https://sites.google.com/site/arizonabjcpexams/home. I find it useful to visualize processes like this.

That's awesome. Exactly what I was stumbling to find. I scored exactly 80 on my tasting exam and I have 10 points or I think I should when the last comp gets entered so I shall start the search for a written exam. Now I just need to get 100 on the written to qualify for Master :) 

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 04:39:39 pm »
Mike, Steal away. :)

Gmac...good luck with that 100! ;)
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:02:49 pm »
Nice chart. 
gmac, I think you'd only need a 95 on the written, since it's still 70% written versus 30% tasting, unless that has changed.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 06:03:52 pm »

That's awesome. Exactly what I was stumbling to find. I scored exactly 80 on my tasting exam and I have 10 points or I think I should when the last comp gets entered so I shall start the search for a written exam. Now I just need to get 100 on the written to qualify for Master :)

It should be a lot easier to find a written in the future with the new quarterly exams, I believe you just have to find an active exam grader to administer the test.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 06:17:57 pm »
Jeff - it is now 50/50
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 07:49:53 pm »
It's a good thing I don't have to take it again then.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 06:47:33 am »

That's a nice chart. I keep reading all over BJCP that apprentice is disappearing, but they don't seem to actually be making it disappear.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 07:58:10 am »
That's a nice chart. I keep reading all over BJCP that apprentice is disappearing, but they don't seem to actually be making it disappear.

well, what people keep telling me is that nobody fails anymore, so I suppose if that were true then Apprentice would disappear.

Though I did grade one exam in 2013 that did not pass.