Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: alcoholic taste?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: alcoholic taste?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 11:40:22 am »
How much yeast? Did you rehydrate? If this is a 5 gal batch, even rehydrated that would be under-pitching. If the yeast was pitched dry it would be substantially under-pitched.
This was for a 3.5 gallon batch. According to yeast calculators, one 11.5 g packet was enough.

If you didn't rehydrate the yeast before pitching you can lose about 50% of the yeast according to Chris White.  You pitched enough yeast to ferment the batch, but maybe not enough to produce a clean fermentation.  Did you rehydrate the yeast with water?

I cannot argue against that.

I don't rehydrate US-05 and have never had any issues. I just aerate really well, pitch the yeast, let sit for a few, and give it a good stir to mix it evenly. I realize that my process may be bad but it has worked well up to this point for me.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 11:43:03 am »
Thanks! I assumed it might need more time but again I just don't have much experience brewing higher OG beers....

It is 52 IBUs for a bitterness ratio of 0.743. Bittered with columbus, and added simcoe and centennial at 20, 10, and flameout. I think it is reasonably balanced in that way. I was going for something malty but with some noticeable hop character. I think I achieved that.

Sounds pretty good to me - sort of American Strong Ale (ish).  You'll have to post your impressions of the Red X malt.

Yeah this is holiday(ish) ale test batch. I added a spruce needle/orange zest vodka tincture to half of the bottles. Not detectable as far as I can tell...

It is hard for me to gain any real conclusions from the red x right now. I used a small amount of special b (1.6%) and that is what my palate seems to be drawn toward at this point.

We will see how the flavors change as it ages...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 06:59:08 am »
I don't rehydrate US-05 and have never had any issues. I just aerate really well, pitch the yeast, let sit for a few, and give it a good stir to mix it evenly. I realize that my process may be bad but it has worked well up to this point for me.

+100.  I don't rehydrate.  I too am a small batch brewer, so I might just pitch a higher proportion of the packet to compensate for dead yeast.  Always see signs of fermentation within 24 hours pitching it dry.  I love dry yeast.  The easiest way to do something is always what I do as long as it always produces excellent results... and this does.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.