Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Digestibility  (Read 2803 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Digestibility
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 09:56:45 am »
It's about dryness and high attenuation.

Dryness is the important part to me.  You can have high attenuation and a relatively high final gravity, but for digestibility you want to finish low.  I've started targeting lower OGs on my Belgian beers in order to finish lower and have the same alcohol content.
One of the reasons I homebrew is that many of my favorite beers as far as flavor goes are a little too filling/sweet for my taste so I'm often trying to get a little dryer.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Digestibility
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 12:16:38 pm »
I haven't seen one of these threads in a long time. Light body even if the beer is a strong one. This is in part achieved with proper carbonation vs a fully fermented beer. Also balance between the alcohol and remnant sugars. One doesn't want a cloying sweetness or harsh alcohol notes.
Euge, what do you mean by "proper carbonation vs a fully fermented beer". Do you mean well carbonated and fully fermented?

Basically but a poor choice of words on my part. Perhaps, properly fermented and fully carbonated beer would work better...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis