Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Major Starter Blowoff- what would you do?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Major Starter Blowoff- what would you do?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »

that's almost as much as I lose on each batch to dumping off warm beer in the tower line... :o

Hey Paul, I finally broke down and bought one of these last year. Got sick of dumping warm beer in the tower. You can hook it up in less than 5 minutes. Works as advertised  :

http://www.towercooler.com/

thanks Jon!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 12:51:02 pm »
Hey Paul.  Thought about this thread as I checked my 4.5L starter for 10G of lager I'm brewing this weekend.  I typically put a small drop of Fermcap in the erlenmeyer as I'm boiling to prevent boil-overs.  It also keeps the krausen in control as it's up towards the 5L mark but not going higher.  One small bottle lasts a lifetime....

Just a thought for you.

Dave

Dave

I'm ashamed to admit...

I have Fermcap S and just flat out forgot to use it until I was watching the 5L flask start to near blowing off last week. It then dawned on me to use that (although I don't use it anywhere else anymore). 

worked great, and I had back pressure on the main batch within ~7-8 hours on saturday so I assume all is well.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 12:52:32 pm »
I guess it depends on the set up, but wouldn't a computer fan be able to do the same or similar function?  You could rig up a funnel attachment to then attach a hose to it...wait, did I just give away a potentially profitable idea?  If so, have at it engineers!  Damn, I might have at least made it into the "gadgets issue" of Zymurgy with that one!

There you go !  I don't doubt it could be done cheaper. I got mine from my LHBS - it was a little cheaper than the one on the site (and no shipping). The guy that worked there told me how well it worked on his kegerator, so I bought it. My old reconditioned fridge with the taps through the door never had that problem, with everything run directly into the fridge compartment, but the tower kegerators need to have the tower cooled to keep the first glass cold. Glad I bought it regardless.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 04:00:55 pm »
Hey Paul.  Thought about this thread as I checked my 4.5L starter for 10G of lager I'm brewing this weekend.  I typically put a small drop of Fermcap in the erlenmeyer as I'm boiling to prevent boil-overs.  It also keeps the krausen in control as it's up towards the 5L mark but not going higher.  One small bottle lasts a lifetime....

Just a thought for you.

Dave

Dave

I'm ashamed to admit...

I have Fermcap S and just flat out forgot to use it until I was watching the 5L flask start to near blowing off last week. It then dawned on me to use that (although I don't use it anywhere else anymore). 

worked great, and I had back pressure on the main batch within ~7-8 hours on saturday so I assume all is well.

Too funny!  I only use it in starters and it does work quite well.

Glad the brew came out.

Dave
Dave Zach