Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chemistry of Beer  (Read 10961 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Chemistry of Beer
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 11:22:06 am »
Since he decided to ask us to join a group, I created one for AHA forum members. I am still not quite sure how groups work.

The Group code is qwtWJcx1UZh

I don't understand the groups either. How do members of the group communicate? Do we just list all group members as contacts?

My understanding now is that it allows you to see all other members in your "contacts" tab and chat with them as you would a contact, but without adding everyone individually.

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2014, 08:09:41 am »
Some answers on test I question. I wrote the instructor( end of test section) because from his lecture and quiz hopefully will get a 2 to 3 answers changed. Otherwise I still passed   :).
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2014, 09:28:30 pm »
I guess I passed the first graded quiz (assignment grade 15, not sure exactly what the grade is based on).  You won't pass this one based on brewing knowledge alone!  Unless you have a biochem background, it would be pretty hard to get all the answers right without some real studying especially the non-multiple choice.  I'm assuming the quiz is closed book.  The quiz can be done in 10 minutes.

So far I'm enjoying the class.

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 07:53:40 am »
They must of had a few problems. When I went back to review test it was cleared ended up having to take again. It looks like some test and quiz questions were getting interchanged? received a 15 happy with that.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2014, 12:14:43 pm »

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 11:26:16 am »
Is anybody still active in the course?  There's some interesting discussions going on.
Have a Kolsch and a smile!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 11:51:18 am »
I was going to go back to take the fermentation self-eval and quiz.  I'll look out for the discussions.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2014, 01:21:07 pm »
I was doing it for the first 4 or 5 weeks but then my windows pc died and the site didn't work in linux so I had to give up

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2014, 12:29:00 am »
I got too busy to keep doing it.  I am hoping to either do it on my own or do it if they run it again.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 07:12:57 am »
I got too busy to keep doing it.  I am hoping to either do it on my own or do it if they run it again.

Same here. Got through like week 4 or so before I realized that there was very little return on investment for me for the time investment needed. I don't really get the vibe that the profs understand brewing to the level that I'd hoped. It's really a chemistry course as opposed to a brewing science course.

If a school with a solid Brewing Science program like UC Davis offered a course like this, I'd sign up in a heatbeat (especially if Bamforth was teaching). Otherwise, I just don't have the time (or need) for it right now.

One good thing was that I learned was that going back to school would not work out for me at this stage in my life. I have been kicking around the possibility of getting my masters via an online program. If I can't find the time for one "just for fun" course, there's no way I could handle a full coarseload for a degree that I'm paying for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 07:51:56 pm »
I've gotten a lot out of it.  Even though the instructors don't know a lot about brewing, the chemical concepts are pretty interesting.  Plus there's some pretty good info in the reading material - again, you need look past the lack of brewing knowledge in the reading as well to get anything out of it.  I've just finished the last quiz and am going to start studying for the final.  I'm not sure how the study group material works either, but am willing to try!
Have a Kolsch and a smile!