Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Club Meeting Location  (Read 3480 times)

Offline kcbeersnob

• 1st Kit
Homebrew Club Meeting Location
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:01:47 am »
Now that homebrew rights have expanded in KS to allow normal club activities, I've been talking to some guys about starting a club in our area.  Meeting at member homes may be fine for a while, but I imagine we will need a larger space and a static location fairly fast...ideally free.  Any tips for us?

A LHBS has offered to let us use their space, but it's very small and we will easily outgrow it. 

I don't think our local community centers allow alcohol.  There are no breweries in the general area where we would like to establish the club. 

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Homebrew Club Meeting Location
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:35:08 am »
My club is about 130 paid memberships with many of those memberships including a significant other.  We still sometimes meet at people's houses during the summer months (when we can use a backyard in MI).  Turn out to our meetings is usually 50-60 people.  Most of the time we meet up at various breweries and craft beer bars around town.  We pretty much never meet up at the same place twice in a row.  We move around a lot.  We work it out with the owners to come in usually on their slowest night of the week.  We encourage our membership to purchase food and drinks prior to the meeting.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 10:09:41 am »
130 is big enough to lease a building

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:11:52 am »
Check with local churches. A club I belonged to years ago met at a Unitarian church. The space was large enough for 60 people. Southern baptist might be a bad choice if you want to bring beer.

My home club meets at a brewery. They have a classroom and banquet space.

Current club meets at breweries and bars. No Homebrew allowed. They also host monthly brew days where most of the drinking occurs.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:18:33 am »
130 is big enough to lease a building
heh I suppose but why spend money when local business are willing to let us meet there for free... and our membership enjoys the change in scenery ;-)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline kcbeersnob

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 11:17:53 am »
Thanks guys.

My club is about 130 paid memberships with many of those memberships including a significant other.  We still sometimes meet at people's houses during the summer months (when we can use a backyard in MI).  Turn out to our meetings is usually 50-60 people.  Most of the time we meet up at various breweries and craft beer bars around town.  We pretty much never meet up at the same place twice in a row.  We move around a lot.  We work it out with the owners to come in usually on their slowest night of the week.  We encourage our membership to purchase food and drinks prior to the meeting.

Changing up the location appeals to me, but I imagine you would have to coordinate communications very well so people don't show up at the wrong place.  If I were hosting at my house, I wouldn't want my address on a public website or social media site.  How do you handle these things?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 05:38:17 pm »
In my opinion, meeting in a public place is a necessity for any club looking to grow. I can think of few things more frightening than going to someone's house (that you don't know) to see if you are interested in joining their club. A public meeting space provides a bit more cover for the first time visitor to see if this is a group that meshes with their ideals. I realize that it is very difficult to find an adequate public meeting space, but it is something that every club should try and achieve. A noisy restaurant is not ideal since its tough to have the group conversations that make a meeting like this worthwhile.

Sure, if there are rules against homebrew at that public space, have another monthly meeting at a home or somewhere else so that the true focus of the club (homebrewing) can be exhibited. But providing that public meeting space is an important way to encourage new members to check your club out.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 07:09:25 pm »
Thanks guys.

Changing up the location appeals to me, but I imagine you would have to coordinate communications very well so people don't show up at the wrong place.  If I were hosting at my house, I wouldn't want my address on a public website or social media site.  How do you handle these things?

Public locations get posted on our homepage, private residences the address is kept in our private forums (of which you need to be a member to access that section).  In those cases the homepage might say something like "May meeting at John Smith's house, check forums (link) for address.

Our webpage currently has a few public events shown on it here: http://crafthomebrewclub.org/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:11:37 pm by dkfick »
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline razzanof

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:39:34 pm »
Have you been successful in establishing something?  I am new to the area and am interested in continuing in the hobby.

Offline kcbeersnob

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 05:22:09 am »
Have you been successful in establishing something?  I am new to the area and am interested in continuing in the hobby.
You can find info about our club at http://jocobs.info.  We have had 3 meetings and are continuing to evolve.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 06:20:28 am »
Check with local churches. A club I belonged to years ago met at a Unitarian church. The space was large enough for 60 people. Southern baptist might be a bad choice if you want to bring beer.

Ha. KCBM got kicked out of a church in KS - which is what started this whole 'change the law in KS thing'. We fought for two years (a member wrote the bill and our President testified several times in the House and Senate) and spent a good chunk of money towards lobbyists on getting the laws changed in KS.

Ironically, we are having a tough time finding a place that will house as many members as we have in KS!  :o We are still meeting on the Missouri side of the state line, but I can't imagine we can stay there forever.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article