Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spring 2014 Brewing  (Read 5488 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Spring 2014 Brewing
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:14:06 am »
Got depressed looking at the January brew weekend thread.

May 4 brewing a Bing Quadsby
14 lbs German pils
1 lb special B
1 lb cane sugar
1 lb D180
Wyeast Trapist High Gravity
Secondary on 5 lbs fresh Bing Cherries that are local and bloomed a couple weeks ago.

Ought to be tasty fun. First brew in the new Spedel 30L.

Waiting on an old friend to show up who wants to learn about all grain.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Spring 2014 Brewing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:24:36 am »
Got a Bo Pils on deck for Monday and Doppelbock the following week. That will be it for lagers for a while. Things will probably slow down with my brewing in general as well. I'll probably do a bunch of easy 1-gallon batches here & there, but as the weather warms up I'll be spending more time in the garden than the brewery.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:54:40 am »
Just kegged a Motueka Pale last night that seems very promising.  Just something I threw together with ingredients on hand. 50/50 Crisp MO/Weyermann Pils, Summit bitter & Motueka late. Nice bright yellow gold color, Fresh lemongrass and spice hop aroma and flavor. Medium-light body that comes in around 5.8%.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 11:56:27 am »
I'm slowing down too, sort of. Going to go back to one batch per brew day and use the thermal probe attached to fermentor under insulating method so the temp is more precise. I'm curious to see if there's a noticeable difference

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 12:20:01 pm »
Brewed a sour wheat ale yesterday that is 5.5% and has a little special roast malt and melanoidin, so I don't dare call it a Berliner Weiss.  It took a lot of restraint to not add any hops to the boil which made it a relatively melancholy brew day.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 12:40:56 pm »
Brewing test batch 1 of wedding saison right now

72.5% pils
12.5% Munich
7.5% malted wheat
5% Caramunich III
2.5% aromatic

33 IBUs
1oz sterling at 0
.75oz sterling at 15
~1oz sterling at 60 (depends on the ibu contribution from the 15 minute addition)

WY3711

Darkest saison I've made.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 01:47:05 pm »
Brewed Rye IPA yesterday (surprised?).  I'm hoping to find more time to brew soon!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:44:44 pm »
Just finished 5 gallons of Spit Open and Melt. I'm a dy late on the big brew day, but life gets in the way. Its my third AG batch, and efficiency is getting better. I really dont know my system well enough yet to make projections on eff: batch 1: 65%, batch 2 67% and 68.8% today. I hit my target OG but was half gallon short. Still trying to work on thta, but probably wont do more than another 2 batches or so before my new BruGear kettle shows up in June. Then I will have to start over dialing that in. But its all brewing right, I should not complain. It was a beautiful morning and afternoon. I even remembered to make myself a hot scotchy, so that was about a pint off my missing volume...It was well worth the volume loss, delicious! Hope everyone else has had a great weekend!
Edit: and apparently I'm an assistant brewer now, had not been paying attention since moving past "First Kit"
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 02:59:11 pm »
Brewed an IPA today. I think I have about 3 more brews left until hiatus for the summer. I'm thinking a Burton ale, another IPA, then a German lager of some sort. Maybe a braggot as well.

Need to use up those hops.
Kyle M.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 03:20:40 pm »
I did a Pale Ale yesterday with Mrs. R for Big Brew. It was 5 gallons, and was the "Hop 2 It" recipe that was used at the Stan Hieronymus talk at Seattle. Empire hops were used at 6.7% AA. This is a new variety from northern MI, and are thought to be a leftover strain from long ago when that area was producing hops. The strain was found and propagated. The aroma was similar to Cascade, but some that have used it say it has a peppery note. I will post later what I get from the beer, probably in a new thread.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 05:22:31 pm »

14 lbs German pils
1 lb special B
1 lb cane sugar
1 lb D180
Secondary on 5 lbs fresh Bing Cherries that are local and bloomed a couple weeks ago.

Ended up with 66% brewhouse at 1.082 OG. I'm ok with that. I'll have to mental note that for future big beers.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 05:41:24 pm »
That's a great reminder Jim. My brew was projected at 1.099, so I think I will take my 68% eff, had not even thought about just how big it was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 05:43:31 pm »

14 lbs German pils
1 lb special B
1 lb cane sugar
1 lb D180

Ended up with 66% brewhouse at 1.082 OG. I'm ok with that. I'll have to mental note that for future big beers.

First, that recipe looks good and tasty. And I always lose a little efficiency on big beers, especially the closer you get to 1.100.  That's a beer that'll age nicely - if you have any left by New Year's it'll be killer.  Also, 'Bing Quadsby' is a pretty solid name !
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 06:42:06 pm »
I was going to run it at 64° but panicked at the last minute and upped it to 66°. I over chilled it. Its at 59° right now, ubber oxygenated and pitched. I set it at 66° so the heater is on. I'm going to step it up 1° per day to 78°. When I hit terminal I'll rack it to 5 lbs Bings.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:02 pm »
Sounds pretty solid.  BTW, that yeast ferments like it's losing its mind on a beer that big, so be prepared !
Jon H.