Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Baking with brewers yeast???  (Read 11261 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Baking with brewers yeast???
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:54:50 pm »
I'm making a starter and it smells awesome and I just wondered if anyone has ever tried baking bread (I was thinking pizza dough) using brewers yeast?  Might be a waste of time but I could see adding actively fermenting beer to a pizza dough recipe and it being pretty tasty.

As an aside, I was making sweet potatoes on the weekend and we didn't have any brown sugar (I was surprised).  i usually mash them with brown sugar and butter.  Anyway, I used DME instead it it was really good.  Going to be doing that again for sure!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Baking with brewers yeast???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:05:08 pm »
Hmm. Hmmm! Huh! Using a starter to get enough Co2? Hmmm. Pizza or flatbread is probably the way to go. Throw in some spent grains? Hmm!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:56:20 pm »
I used munton's before and it didn't taste must different than with baking yeast. I assume S-04 or S-33 would throw some interesting flavors, but why spend that money for pizza dough? I'd be interested to hear results though. On a side note, I always use spent grain in my dough and it turns out awesome!
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:15:45 pm »
A flat bread or pizza comes to mind because brewers yeast produces more alcohol than co2 vis a vis bread dough so rising might be a problem.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:23:42 pm »
I wasn't thinking of just the yeast.  I'm making a kolsch soon and I would think using a cup of actively fermenting beer in place of water would give the dough some sweetness, bit of maltiness and of course, some CO2.  I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:03:54 am »
Cool idea. They're both S. cerviseae so I think it would work fine. Whether there is enough, or too much, yeast in a cup of fermenting beer is another question. My guess is that you'll be in the ballpark. Pizza crust would be pretty forgiving anyway.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline josephbauer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:55:06 am »
I have used half a pack of Danstar Windsor Ale yest and had great tasting pizza.
God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as dearly as he loves vegetation. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:05:19 am »
I think you'd be happier just using beer as the liquid component along with active dry yeast. That way you get the best of both worlds.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 09:12:21 am »
I think you'd be happier just using beer as the liquid component along with active dry yeast. That way you get the best of both worlds.

I agree.  The couple times I've tried using brewers yeast for baking it worked, but not well.  I'm told it'd because brewing yeast is optimized for fermentation and baking yeast is optimized for CO2 production.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell