Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH Meter Calibration Solutions and Storage  (Read 2289 times)

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
pH Meter Calibration Solutions and Storage
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:35:55 am »
I just bought an MW101 pH meter, and I plan to get serious about my water treatments. As part of the process, I'm going to have to keep the meter calibrated, of course, and the testing/buffering and storage solutions aren't cheap. I'm thinking about using a couple of old White Labs vials to hold the testing solutions while I calibrate. Does anybody see an issue with calibrating in such a relatively small container? Also, can I cap the vials and reuse the calibrating solutions again? If so, would you recommend limiting to a specific number of "reuses"?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: pH Meter Calibration Solutions and Storage
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 02:02:45 pm »
Storage and calibration are critical to the performance of pH meters. I just posted a summary of my recommendations for storage and calibration on Bru'n Water's Facebook page. Visit there to pick up some guidance.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:45:08 am »
Storage and calibration are critical to the performance of pH meters. I just posted a summary of my recommendations for storage and calibration on Bru'n Water's Facebook page. Visit there to pick up some guidance.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908

Martin, thanks for the input; that helps a lot. So reusing the solutions after calibration is out. Do you have an opinion about a minimum amount of solution to use to calibrate? Specifically, would an old White Labs vial be sufficient, do you think?

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:11:32 am »
His Facebook article says he uses a capful of each to calibrate.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:55:27 am »
I do like the idea of reusing the white labs vials. I'm betting a block of wood with 2 holes drilled in it or some other apparatus to stand the vials upright would be a great way to calibrate.

As a side note, I have a question about the MW101 meter. everyone talks of drying the probe after rinsing and I believe Martin mentioned blowing on the probe tip to dry it. Just how fragile are the probes, specifically the one that ships with the MW101. I mean can you sling water droplets off of it or are there easily breakable components in that thing? Also I've read instructions on some meters that claim you can dry the probe tip with a paper towel? Just wondering.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:58:52 am by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 09:30:20 am »
The probe bulbs are very fragile. You might be able to gently shake excess water off, but I would be worried about accidentally hitting something.

I rinse in DI water then carefully blot with a damp paper towel.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<