Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big Brew Extract Recipe Errors  (Read 1319 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Big Brew Extract Recipe Errors
« on: April 07, 2014, 05:02:56 pm »
I was looking at the recipes for this year's Big Brew event and accidentally clicked on the extract recipes. I noticed an error in one, and then checked the other two, and found a second error.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/Black-Dog-Lager-Schwarzbier-Extract.pdf

This one lists Munich malt, but doesn't specify a mini-mash for it.  It does reference Munich extract which does not appear on the ingredient list.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/Regal-Pale-Ale-Extract.pdf

This one has wheat malt on the ingredient list, but doesn't talk about it in the recipe specifics.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Big Brew Extract Recipe Errors
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:10:02 am »
Thanks, Chumley.  I'll let Matt know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:39 pm »
Both of these recipes have been updated.

Chumley- thanks for the catch! And thanks, Denny, for notifying me!

Cheers,
Matt Bolling
Events & Membership Coordinator
American Homebrewers Association
736 Pearl St |Boulder, CO, 80302
303.447.0816 ext 184
matt@brewersassociation.org
Matt Bolling

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:06:06 am »
Good on ya, Matt!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline crjpilot

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:51:55 am »
The all-grain recipes seem to have an error too.

I noticed, for Split Open and Melt, there are two different hop addition amounts depending on which page you view the recipe on.

On the actual Big Brew recipe sheet page, it shows a 0.5oz Chinook addition at 60 minutes. On the featured article page that's scrolling on the website main page, it shows this addition to be 1.5oz at 60 minutes. Both recipes sheets show IBUs as 86. In order to get ~86 IBUs, it would seem the 1.5oz addition would be correct.