Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pete Coors doesn't get it  (Read 7909 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pete Coors doesn't get it
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 08:40:06 am »
I'm going to point out that a
dumbed down s*%t beer
won the National Homebrew Competition last year.

Point taken.  I don't begrudge somebody wanting to brew one at home, or want to say that Annie didn't do a great job. I was more irritated at the BMC execs feeling they need to belittle craft beer as they crank out very consistent, watery crap that people are finally getting tired of.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 08:57:00 am »
Let's face it, we all buy light beers from the main brands and they have a place in our beer economy.
No we don't, and they don't.  I know that what you're saying applies to many people, but I don't buy and drink their beers.  I doubt I'm alone.  It's not snobbery, I just genuinely don't prefer that kind of beer.  I think it is only suitable for 100+ degree days and drinking games, and since I live in the NW and I'm no longer in college . . .

Yeah, the implication that "we all drink BMC" is a bit absurd. I'm not saying I would never drink a BMC but I can count on one hand the number of BMCs I have had in the last 5 years.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 09:05:02 am »
Let's face it, we all buy light beers from the main brands and they have a place in our beer economy.
No we don't, and they don't.  I know that what you're saying applies to many people, but I don't buy and drink their beers.  I doubt I'm alone.  It's not snobbery, I just genuinely don't prefer that kind of beer.  I think it is only suitable for 100+ degree days and drinking games, and since I live in the NW and I'm no longer in college . . .

Yeah, the implication that "we all drink BMC" is a bit absurd. I'm not saying I would never drink a BMC but I can count on one hand the number of BMCs I have had in the last 5 years.

Agreed. Also, if someone just hands me one, I will just hold it as a prop rather than drinking it. I don't feel the need to drink it, and would often prefer not to have "that conversation" with my family again.
Kyle M.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 10:18:44 am »
Coors Light is the one beverage I won't drink. I just say no and have water or pop or nothing.

I am brewing Kolsch today for summer. I have Saison, German Pils and Kolsch for summer. I can get by without Pete Coor's products.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:21:06 am by gmac »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 10:39:12 am »
I can state definitively that the last macro I had was an Old Style at Wrigley Field, and that's because the beer choices there are awful.

I thought they quit selling Old Style at Wrigley.  I was there last night and saw not a single Old Style vendor.

No Bud for me, thanks.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 10:42:00 am »

You are not alone...I'm right there with you for the same reason.  It has nothing to do with snobbery or boycotting the majors.  It's simply becasue I don't like the beer and I'm not gonna buy and drink something I don't like.  When those beers are the only choice I have, I drink water.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 10:42:27 am »
I like variety when it comes to beer. I like hoppy beers, Belgianesque styles, Dark German lagers, sours, strong ales, and wood aged ales, etc... I also like light lagers when it's hot outside and I'm sweating, or mowing the lawn. There's a time and place for all of styles of beer. However, I find light lagers to be rather boring. I'm probably not going to order a BMC while in a bar or taproom, especially when there's a dozen or more craft offerings. I'm also less inclined to choose a BMC while at a beer event or a social gathering.

I think the big three are going through a challenging time as the evolution of beer is accelerating. After all, we are amidst a Craft Beer Rennaisance of sorts. Do they get it? Maybe so. The fact is that the beer consuming public is discovering a vast array of some superior tasting, higher quality beer, and for the most part they are liking what they are tasting, and basking in the discovery of this very fine product that we like to call "Craft Beer".
Ron Price

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 11:07:22 am »
I would add that a lot of their problem has everything to do with size.  It is easier to turn a ski boat than a tanker.  Organizations have inertia, politics and lazy people (and dare I say unions).  It is a significant strategic advantage to be smaller when it comes to change and adaptation.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 11:10:53 am »
I would add that a lot of their problem has everything to do with size.  It is easier to turn a ski boat than a tanker.  Organizations have inertia, politics and lazy people (and dare I say unions).  It is a significant strategic advantage to be smaller when it comes to change and adaptation.

+1
Jon H.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 11:16:00 am »
I think that just like any other style light lager has its place. I love coors, coors light or tecate when fishing,  golfing,  river floating, at a stadium

I think the point of having a light beer on tap is to have something for the non craft drinker. I think that beer bars that don't carry BMC are missing out on customers. That doesn't mean they should have more than one on tap. No when it comes to natural ice keystone etc. They are worse than Heineken or corona to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
- Charles

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 12:00:44 pm »
I think the point of having a light beer on tap is to have something for the non craft drinker. I think that beer bars that don't carry BMC are missing out on customers. That doesn't mean they should have more than one on tap. No when it comes to natural ice keystone etc. They are worse than Heineken or corona to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
That is why there is soda and bottled water at our tap house.  I do enjoy taking tap handles away BMC (mostly Lienie's)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 12:05:22 pm »
It is not the unions preventing BMC from adapting, that's just silly.

I know for a fact that AB is capable of making great beer.  Some friends of mine won a competition where the prize was being flown to St. Louis for VIP treatment and they brewed the winning recipe on a pilot system - something in the 10-30 bbl range, I don't remember.  The beer was nice and hoppy and the pilot version was great.  What happened to that beer?  They sent a few cases of bottles to my friends and dumped the rest down the drain.  Making and selling craft beer is outside their business model.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 12:42:12 pm »

In no way do I want to hijack this thread into a union pro/con debate.  My only point was to say that unions do add a layer of complexity which sometimes results in delay - not that they would prevent BMC from adapting.  A union has its members welfare as its primary focus.  Sometimes this conflicts with the goals of the company in which they work.

And that is all I will contribute to the matter.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 04:09:33 pm »

In no way do I want to hijack this thread into a union pro/con debate.  My only point was to say that unions do add a layer of complexity which sometimes results in delay - not that they would prevent BMC from adapting.  A union has its members welfare as its primary focus.  Sometimes this conflicts with the goals of the company in which they work.

And that is all I will contribute to the matter.

There was an episode of "Undercover Boss" a few years back where the owner of a wine distribution company went undercover.  He went out with a driver one day.  The driver's truck was full enough that IF everything went well, he would have a minimum 12 hour day.  They get to a stop and when the driver got done with the delivery, the customer waited an hour before signing the invoice, with the result that the driver is now an hour behind for every customer that came after that stop.  I worked for 28 years at a food service warehouse and that can get a driver written up and/or fired.  Not to mention that there are federal regulations covering how long a driver can be on the road.  When the driver and the owner of the company got back in the truck, the driver started cussing up a storm.  At the end of the show, the owner called the driver on the carpet for 'unprofessional behavior'.  Union debate aside, when you cannot see the real problem, your business is going to suffer.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 05:59:36 pm »
I can state definitively that the last macro I had was an Old Style at Wrigley Field, and that's because the beer choices there are awful.

I thought they quit selling Old Style at Wrigley.  I was there last night and saw not a single Old Style vendor.

No Bud for me, thanks.
I haven't been yet this year. I heard Old Style is still at some stands, but not the vendors.

My bother-in-law is a big baseball fan and has been to a lot MLB games. He was floored by the number of beer vendors at Wrigley.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.