Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pete Coors doesn't get it  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Pete Coors doesn't get it
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 08:05:57 pm »

I would add that a lot of their problem has everything to do with size.  It is easier to turn a ski boat than a tanker.  Organizations have inertia, politics and lazy people (and dare I say unions).  It is a significant strategic advantage to be smaller when it comes to change and adaptation.
It is not the unions preventing BMC from adapting, that's just silly.

In no way do I want to hijack this thread into a union pro/con debate.  My only point was to say that unions do add a layer of complexity which sometimes results in delay - not that they would prevent BMC from adapting.  A union has its members welfare as its primary focus.  Sometimes this conflicts with the goals of the company in which they work.

And that is all I will contribute to the matter.

My local 666 union wants donuts and coffee every morning. Easy to please.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 07:48:04 am »
I would add that a lot of their problem has everything to do with size.  It is easier to turn a ski boat than a tanker.  Organizations have inertia, politics and lazy people (and dare I say unions).  It is a significant strategic advantage to be smaller when it comes to change and adaptation.

In no way do I want to hijack this thread into a union pro/con debate.  My only point was to say that unions do add a layer of complexity which sometimes results in delay - not that they would prevent BMC from adapting.  A union has its members welfare as its primary focus.  Sometimes this conflicts with the goals of the company in which they work.

There was an episode of "Undercover Boss" a few years back where the owner of a wine distribution company went undercover.  He went out with a driver one day.  The driver's truck was full enough that IF everything went well, he would have a minimum 12 hour day.  They get to a stop and when the driver got done with the delivery, the customer waited an hour before signing the invoice, with the result that the driver is now an hour behind for every customer that came after that stop.  I worked for 28 years at a food service warehouse and that can get a driver written up and/or fired.  Not to mention that there are federal regulations covering how long a driver can be on the road.  When the driver and the owner of the company got back in the truck, the driver started cussing up a storm.  At the end of the show, the owner called the driver on the carpet for 'unprofessional behavior'.  Union debate aside, when you cannot see the real problem, your business is going to suffer.

I wonder what its like to work in an impossible situation surrounded by disfunction,  but you have to bite your tongue. I'll bet that occasionally afterward the average person might need to vent just a little bit. Even average professionals

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 07:58:31 am »

[/quote]

I wonder what its like to work in an impossible situation surrounded by disfunction,  but you have to bite your tongue. I'll bet that occasionally afterward the average person might need to vent just a little bit. Even average professionals
[/quote]

Try working in IT for a large bank (any large corp, actually) and you will see the same frustrations.  Just difference causes.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 08:37:59 am »

[/quote]

Try working in IT for a large bank (any large corp, actually) and you will see the same frustrations.  Just difference causes.

Paul
[/quote]

That's why I no longer want to work full time. I'm tired of the primate behavior. I can only stand it a couple days a week. And I keep my mouth shut- especially at staff meetings because in [reality] they do not want anyone's input.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 10:16:57 am »

My local 666 union wants donuts and coffee every morning. Easy to please.

Crazy devils!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 11:18:31 am »

I know for a fact that AB is capable of making great beer.  Some friends of mine won a competition where the prize was being flown to St. Louis for VIP treatment and they brewed the winning recipe on a pilot system - something in the 10-30 bbl range, I don't remember.  The beer was nice and hoppy and the pilot version was great.  What happened to that beer?  They sent a few cases of bottles to my friends and dumped the rest down the drain.  Making and selling craft beer is outside their business model.

ouch.
I guess I don't see the point of the brewday then.  What am I missing?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2014, 11:39:43 am »

I know for a fact that AB is capable of making great beer.  Some friends of mine won a competition where the prize was being flown to St. Louis for VIP treatment and they brewed the winning recipe on a pilot system - something in the 10-30 bbl range, I don't remember.  The beer was nice and hoppy and the pilot version was great.  What happened to that beer?  They sent a few cases of bottles to my friends and dumped the rest down the drain.  Making and selling craft beer is outside their business model.

ouch.
I guess I don't see the point of the brewday then.  What am I missing?
It's just a test batch.  They dump pretty much everything they brew on that system, although I think they save some for future testing.  I'll be doing the same starting next month, because I can't sell it yet and I can't drink it all.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2014, 11:48:29 am »
I can't drink it all.

Try harder?

But seriously, I give away a lot of what I brew for the same reason.  I enjoy making it, but I'll never be able to drink it all.  And I'm too old to try.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2014, 11:52:23 am »
I can't drink it all.

Try harder?

But seriously, I give away a lot of what I brew for the same reason.  I enjoy making it, but I'll never be able to drink it all.  And I'm too old to try.

+1.  I resemble that.
Jon H.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2014, 11:56:29 am »
I can't drink it all.

Try harder?

+1.  I resemble that.
I'll definitely be giving away a bunch, but I'll bet I'll still be dumping beer.  We'll see.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2014, 01:07:56 pm »
I can't drink it all.

Try harder?

+1.  I resemble that.
I'll definitely be giving away a bunch, but I'll bet I'll still be dumping beer.  We'll see.

I'm telling you guys - outsourcing parties are the way to go.

I had 6 kegs of things that were starting to get a little too old. Had 20 people over and in 6 hours they drained 5 kegs. I likely won't do it at that scale again for a while, but smaller little get-togethers would be great for getting rid of all of this beer without dumping it.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »
I can't drink it all.

Try harder?

+1.  I resemble that.

I'm telling you guys - outsourcing parties are the way to go.

I had 6 kegs of things that were starting to get a little too old. Had 20 people over and in 6 hours they drained 5 kegs. I likely won't do it at that scale again for a while, but smaller little get-togethers would be great for getting rid of all of this beer without dumping it.

Yep, that's pretty much my strategy, Amanda !  There are a bunch of craft beer drinkers in my neighborhood, so if my garage door is open that pretty much means 'Bar Open'. I've killed a bunch of kegs that way and gotten some pretty good free meals in return, which I never expect or ask for. Win-win !
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2014, 01:33:37 pm »

k
One of the best Doppelbocks I ever had was made by Budweisser - some "Brewmaster Collection" thing in swing top 2L bottle. It was awesome.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2014, 05:31:20 pm »

k
One of the best Doppelbocks I ever had was made by Budweisser - some "Brewmaster Collection" thing in swing top 2L bottle. It was awesome.
Almost every brewer can make great or not so great beer. It is a choice of ingredients and process. 

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 05:32:37 pm »

k

You and me both. Saved the bottle. Should've bought more.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton