Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tamarind anyone?  (Read 3321 times)

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
Tamarind anyone?
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:08:42 am »
I've got an IPA fermenting that I would like to add tamarind to.  I have a "brick" of seedless tamarind fruit from the Indian grocery store.  It has a pretty powerful sweet-tart flavor.  The IPA has an English malt base (Maris Otter with a bit of caramel rye and carahell and a half pound of jaggery), but is hopped in a more West Coast fashion - with late columbus, apollo, summit, and galaxy at flameout/whirlpool.
My thought was to let this go for 4-5 days, then add the fruit.  After tasting the tamarind, I'm not sure I should use the whole pound for this 5 gallon batch.  Anyone have any experience with tamarind?  My experience tells me that its wiser to under-do it than over-do it for a first-time experiment.  Also, any thoughts on dry hops that might not clash too strongly (If I add any, I'm thinking of sticking with galaxy at this point, but I'm new to galaxy so I don't have much to go on there).
-Brian
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Tamarind anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 02:04:29 pm »
My experience is a little tamarind goes a long way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 03:13:34 pm »
My experience is a little tamarind goes a long way.

I'd say less than a little goes more than long way.  How about dissolving it in water and dosing a sample beer so you'll have an idea how much to add?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:15:38 pm »
Thanks, guys.  Denny, I'll try dosing with a prior batch, as you suggest - sounds wise.
- Brian

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:07:06 am »
Skip the dry hopping and just add some fish sauce with the tamarind.... ;)

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 03:07:22 pm »
I used tamarind syrup in a sour beer and was thrilled with the results.  The syrup was intended for sodas.  It made it easy to dose some soda water and extrapolate the result to beer.  I have no experience with a brick of tamarind.

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:31:43 pm »
Try making a tincture using vodka and the tamarind.  Then you can taste it along with slowly dosing a beer to see where you like the flavor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 10:58:20 am »
After tasting some samples with a prior batch, I think I'll hold on the tamarind for this IPA.  It seems like the flavors would go better with a lighter-bodied, less hoppy style like a wit.  I'm a bit concerned about the pulp/rind bitterness that the raw tamarind fruit I have may contribute - and I'm afraid that after fermentation that's all I'll be left with.  I like this recipe a bit too much to risk it.  Guess I'll just have to add another batch to the lineup soon.
Thanks for the advice!
- Brian

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 02:32:01 pm »
After tasting some samples with a prior batch, I think I'll hold on the tamarind for this IPA.  It seems like the flavors would go better with a lighter-bodied, less hoppy style like a wit.  I'm a bit concerned about the pulp/rind bitterness that the raw tamarind fruit I have may contribute - and I'm afraid that after fermentation that's all I'll be left with.  I like this recipe a bit too much to risk it.  Guess I'll just have to add another batch to the lineup soon.
Thanks for the advice!

Good idea.  Made a tamarind wit and it is delicious.  Since I did a mixed fermentation it is beautifully tart and stands up to ageing.  Gutting the tamarind pods was a good amount of labor though.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...