Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Changing step mash to single  (Read 2346 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Changing step mash to single
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:44:30 pm »
 Does anyone have an opinion on how to do this recipe as a single mash infusion ( I mash with a cooler, and have only done single temp mashes ).?  Or can it really only be done with decoction?
http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/GermanPils
Thanks
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Changing step mash to single
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:05:17 pm »
Mash at 150* for 90 minutes, and maybe increase the amount of Melanoidin malt. May not come out exactly the same as the original recipe, but make it your own and run with it.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:28:07 am »
Decoction is not necessary.  I would mash at 150 F for 45 to 60 minutes.  60 minutes is plenty.  90 minutes is completely unnecessary unless you like really long brew days.

I wouldn't touch the melanoidin, which can get nasty if too much is used.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 05:32:56 am »
The brewer just pulled some small amounts of the thick part to do a decoction to maintain 150F. That would not have as much pulled to do a decoction step from the protein rest to sach. rest. So that would have much less Maillard reactions happening. He did not say how long it was boiled. I would only go to 0.5 Lb. of melanoidin malt, if that much, to make up for no decoction.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:03:41 am »
+1 to skipping the Melanoiden malt. Not that I dislike it, but (flavor-wise) I honestly don't think it's a substitute for doing a decoction. There's no need to further alter the recipe, IMO. Just brew the recipe as-is with a single rest at 150ish and you'll be fine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:13:34 am »
I will add that Pilsners I make are 100% Pilsner malt. I don't think you need anything but Pilsner malt.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:09 am »
Mash at 150* for 90 minutes, and maybe increase the amount of Melanoidin malt. May not come out exactly the same as the original recipe, but make it your own and run with it.

Maybe even 148.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:49 am »
Decoction is not necessary.  I would mash at 150 F for 45 to 60 minutes.  60 minutes is plenty.  90 minutes is completely unnecessary unless you like really long brew days.

I wouldn't touch the melanoidin, which can get nasty if too much is used.

For a pils, the extra mash time increases the fermentability and I prefer the body I get.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 12:27:05 pm »

What happens with lots of melanoidin? I have a doppelbock with about 15% melanoidin, and it's pretty awesome, IMNSHO.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 01:45:31 pm »
Melanoidin malt can cause a beer to become sickly sweet, with a certain cherry-like caramel maltiness that is not otherwise found in high amounts in beers without it.  Some people might like this.  Me, not so much -- I'm more traditional.  I like my beer to taste like beer, not like melanoidin malt.  Personal preference.  Some people like Leinie's Berry Weiss, too.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 05:46:40 pm »
Thanks all.  Is that a good rule (148-150) for converting most step mashes to single?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:18 pm »
Yep, I would say so.
Dave

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 10:29:23 pm »
Cool, thanks, on to brewing this weekend then!

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 12:20:54 am »
So we mashed at 148 for 60 min.  Hit OG at 1.052.  Big starter and fermented at 50deg.  Final gravity was supposed to be around 1.010 but stabilized around 1.007 after D-rest (16 days total).  Seems pretty low, but maybe because of 148 temp?  Anyway, tasted pretty damn good when transferring to keg for lagering.  Thanks for the advice.