Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: lactic acid to acidify sparge water  (Read 10148 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Re: lactic acid to acidify sparge water
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 10:13:59 am »
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I have a Bru'n water question about acidifying sparge water. My water typically has an alkalinity of about 170. When acidifying my sparge water I know I have to input the Alkalinity amount into the spread sheet including any dilution (with Distilled usually), Do I just measure the sparge water PH with my meter before acidifying and input the measured PH amount or is PH not as important? My water PH is about 7.8 without any treatment.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:35:05 am by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 11:44:07 am »
You will find that the actual water pH prior to acidifying is relatively meaningless. It has only minor effect on the resulting calculations. I suggest you play with the calculator a bit to see the effect of initial pH. Maybe move the initial pH value by about 1 (up or down) and you should see that the amount of acid required will not change greatly. It is the initial alkalinity that is the elephant in the room!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 11:51:46 am »
You will find that the actual water pH prior to acidifying is relatively meaningless. It has only minor effect on the resulting calculations. I suggest you play with the calculator a bit to see the effect of initial pH. Maybe move the initial pH value by about 1 (up or down) and you should see that the amount of acid required will not change greatly. It is the initial alkalinity that is the elephant in the room!
LOL, I've had skeletons in my closet but this will be my first elephant in the room. :D
Thanks for the help and guidance!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:58:01 am by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 06:19:55 pm »
Thought of another question involving sparge water acidification. I typically do not add a mineral addition to my sparge water, opting instead to add it directly to the kettle. As a result I figure my sparge acidification using the pre-adjustment level of alkalinity. This results in having to use more Lactic acid obviously. Am I better off adding my mineral addition to the sparge water and reducing the amount of lactic acid I'm using? I did a search about whether or not to adjust sparge water and seemed to get somewhat mixed results...
Corripe Cervisiam