Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Extract  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Hop Extract
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 02:14:40 pm »
Thanks.  No need for apologies.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 02:15:32 pm »
HopShot says that 1ml in 5 gallons for 60 minutes = 10 IBU.  50ml for 90 minutes starts to sound like a crazy amount of bitterness.

That is probably the calculated amount, but perceived bitterness is a whole 'nother animal. I forget what 2 full vials for 60 minutes at 1.065-1.070 is in calculated figures, but it's about right for the perceived bitterness of a Pliny-type beer.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 02:19:05 pm »
HopShot says that 1ml in 5 gallons for 60 minutes = 10 IBU.  50ml for 90 minutes starts to sound like a crazy amount of bitterness.

That is probably the calculated amount, but perceived bitterness is a whole 'nother animal. I forget what 2 full vials for 60 minutes at 1.065-1.070 is in calculated figures, but it's about right for the perceived bitterness of a Pliny-type beer.

That's very helpful.  Thanks.  Actually, all the replies are very helpful.

I also noticed that the Bertus recipe is for 12 gallons, not 5.

This batch will be for my soon-to-be-Godson's Christening, so I want to get it right.  Well, I'd want to get it right regardless.  But a tad more pressure to do so in this case.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 02:29:42 pm »
I did a 5-gallon batch recently and it turned out pretty dang close to Pliny. Here's the recipe that I did based around what I've seen. The most important thing I found is shooting to hit the gypsum in the 300ppm range. Santa Rosa has soft water and Vinnie told me that he is heavy handed on the gypsum. Below is the recipe I used and the only thing I would do different is making the corn sugar a whole pound to dry it out a little more.

file:///Users/SamBates/Desktop/Pliny%20the%20Elder%20Clone.html

For clarification:
He dry hops in two phases, so I labeled mined as "5 days" for the 1st DH and "10 days" for the 2nd DH. I also used a mix of water, if you want clarification on that. Hope that you nail it!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:31:34 pm by sambates »
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 12:33:45 pm »
I just recently brewed a IIPA using 10 ml of hop shot, 4 oz of hops in the whirl pool and (2) 4oz dry hop additions. I havent tasted it yet carbed but when i racked to keg before dry hopping it sure was tasty !

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 02:26:06 pm »
Just to chime in on the subject...  My last two IPAs were both done with 10 ml of extract which was obtained from yakimavalleyhops.com.  Both batches were 5 gallons.  I really liked the result.  I don't know what it means, if anything, but there were little reddish brown spots of resin all over the inside of my BK.  I wondered if this was excess that didn't get isomerized, but I have no way of knowing.

The bottom line is that I will use them again.  It seems like I good way to keep the volume of plant material out of the wort, and the price seemed very reasonable.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 02:29:09 pm »
I've got some of this stuff I've been playing with...http://freshops.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=MERCHOIL

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 02:32:39 pm »
Very interesting Denny.  There isn't much specific info on the page though.  Do you know or can you guess what hop(s) they use?

I'm also curious how you have used it and what you thought of the resulting beer.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 02:51:41 pm »
Very interesting Denny.  There isn't much specific info on the page though.  Do you know or can you guess what hop(s) they use?

I'm also curious how you have used it and what you thought of the resulting beer.

I believe it says Cascade.  That's what Dave Wills told me when he gave it to me.  I just put a few drops in a finished beer when I feel like it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell