Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP076 - Old Sonoma Yeast  (Read 3145 times)

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
WLP076 - Old Sonoma Yeast
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:53:10 pm »
I bought this yeast from my LHBS and I'm trying to decide whether to use in a pale ale or porter. Does anyone have experience with this yeast and uses?
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: WLP076 - Old Sonoma Yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:05:07 pm »
They say it is from Jack McAuliffe of new Albion, making it the true original craft beer yeast. English heritage.

I would brew a new Albion clone. All 2-row and cascade (all he could get his hands on back then).

Fun fact - the brewery sign hangs in the Russian River pub in Santa Rosa.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 05:14:02 pm »
They say it is from Jack McAuliffe of new Albion, making it the true original craft beer yeast.

Cool - I didn't know that.  Yeah, I'd definitely have to brew a New Albion clone. That'd be a quick ,easy beer to brew. Simple and good.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:17:24 pm »
I don't use a lot of WLP these days. I don't like to have yeast shipped, especially in the warm months, and my LHBS is Wyeast only, but very fresh Wyeast. Cool about the New Albion strain though.
Jon H.

Offline josephbauer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:59:19 am »
I have not used the WLP076 yest, but will once my LHBS has it in stock - will be using is for a new albion ale clone. Anyone try the New Albion Ale by Samuel Adams, I thought it was tasty.
God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as dearly as he loves vegetation. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:11 am »
I have not used the WLP076 yest, but will once my LHBS has it in stock - will be using is for a new albion ale clone. Anyone try the New Albion Ale by Samuel Adams, I thought it was tasty.
Yes, I thought that was a good beer. I'd like to brew it actually after reading this thread.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:25:37 am »
I liked it quite a bit, too. I read a few posts knocking it for simplicity, but if you consider the landscape of American beer at that time, what he did was way outside the lines. I think it's a good beer.
Jon H.

Offline josephbauer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 08:27:03 am »
Yes, I thought that was a good beer. I'd like to brew it actually after reading this thread.

Jan/Feb 2013 Issue of BYO has the recipe in it - https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2797-new-albion
God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as dearly as he loves vegetation. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 08:31:03 am »
I never saw it down here.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 04:48:21 pm »
Just scored a vile of last year's batch for free from the LHBS. I was looking for a fresh bottle, but they were out. Figure it will take a week to grow up to a heathy pitchable amount. Don't need it for two weeks anyhow.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 05:04:45 pm »
This sounds like a great brew to add to the docket. So many brews, so few weekends with the time to brew...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 06:21:56 pm »
I believe that WLP076 is actually Mendocino's pitching yeast.  Mendocino's yeast culture came from New Albion.  Don Barkley worked at New Albion.   

It is alleged that New Albion's yeast culture originally came from U.C. Davis.  Like most culture collections,  the lion's share of the cultures at UC Davis are anonymized. However, several of the brewing cultures in the collection contain source data.  There are actually two separate culture collections at U.C. Davis.  The big collection is the Phaff Yeast Culture Collection.  The Department of Viticulture & Enology also maintains a culture collection that contains a few brewing cultures.   

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 08:49:31 pm »
Ended up using this in my robust porter and it turned out awesome! Very good English character and attenuates well without being too dry. Reusing a washed slurry in a pale ale this weekend.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"