Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apollo Recipe Request  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
Apollo Recipe Request
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:34:52 pm »
I have 8oz. of Apollo and have never brewed with them.  Some of the descriptions of Apollo raise a note of caution.

Can anyone suggest a decent hop schedule for Apollo?  Would it make a good single hop beer?  If I mix it with another hop, it will probably be Centennial.

70-90ibu IPA, 7%abv, 5%-8% caramel.  8 gallon boil.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Apollo Recipe Request
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:56:59 pm »
I've heard various things (both good and bad) about Apollo, but of all the single hop beers I've brewed Apollo was one of the rare few I would be happy to drink in quantity.

I would describe Apollo as 70% Amarillo crossed with 30% Columbus. It is orange-citrus with a bit of dank. I've heard a lot of onion stories, but I've never picked it up myself.

I've used it at FWH, 60 min, late boil, whirlpool and dry hops and it works fine everywhere in my experience. I don't know if any of the undesirable flavors are related to harvest conditions, but I get my Apollo from Yakima Valley Hops, FWIW. Apollo is a staple in my hoppy American Ales.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:26:07 pm »
Thanks.  I bought my Apollo from Yakima too. 

Some dankness is fine with me.  Onions are bad and not what I consider to be dank, but some people do.

I'll likely use them like they were Columbus based on your description unless someone here that likes hoppy beers tells me a horror story about Apollo.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 06:31:10 pm »
I've heard various things (both good and bad) about Apollo, but of all the single hop beers I've brewed Apollo was one of the rare few I would be happy to drink in quantity.

I would describe Apollo as 70% Amarillo crossed with 30% Columbus. It is orange-citrus with a bit of dank. I've heard a lot of onion stories, but I've never picked it up myself.

I've used it at FWH, 60 min, late boil, whirlpool and dry hops and it works fine everywhere in my experience. I don't know if any of the undesirable flavors are related to harvest conditions, but I get my Apollo from Yakima Valley Hops, FWIW. Apollo is a staple in my hoppy American Ales.

I need to give it another shot. I tried 2 Apollo beers (separate occasions) - the first had a mild but annoying onion character in addition to the other good character. The second was an onion bomb - you could've made soup with it. I then chalked it up into Summit territory and avoided it. But I didn't brew either of those beers and don't know where the hops were sourced from. I use Yakima Valley Hops too and will buy some from them, being a great supplier. I love the idea of Amarillo with some Columbus character. If I can get it without the onion, I'll use the hell out of it.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:19:12 pm »
I tried Apollo over a year ago and I wasn't impressed, but maybe I didn't use it with the right combo. I remember dry hopping with it and I got almost no aroma whatsoever. If it was anything like Amarillo I would've been pleased, but I got nothing like it. I ended up throwing out over a half pound that I found in the back of my freezer.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:37:25 pm »
Does anyone know of a pro beer that uses a lot of or mostly Apollo?