Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st Berliner Weisse...more like Beginner Weisse  (Read 1536 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
1st Berliner Weisse...more like Beginner Weisse
« on: May 22, 2014, 07:57:31 pm »
So this year I started making my first sour beers after 7 years of brewing because I've always have been interested and my wife is really digging them now. I made a Flander's Red and Oud Bruin about 4-5 months ago and they are coming around nicely, but still not ready until around the 1 year mark. I've read up on a sour mash for a Berliner Weisse and thought this would be a great idea for having a sour ready in short time. I basically used the recipe from the latest Zymurgy and let the mash sour for 24 hours at 118-120 degrees. I just put this beer into the keg and tasted it and it's not very sour at all. I'm not very familiar with this style so maybe I'm expecting more than I should or is this a common problem with a sour mash? Maybe some more experienced brewers with this style can chime in?
Dan Chisholm

Offline oregonianredbird

• 1st Kit
Re: 1st Berliner Weisse...more like Beginner Weisse
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:04:50 am »
I'm no expert but I can tell you I tried the same recipe as my first attempt at a sour ale. After 24 hours of mashing (ranging between 125 and 110), it had tartness but not enough. I waiting until it had been mashing for 40 hours before I decided it was sour enough to go on with the boil. I'm sure this changes a lot depending on temperature and how many bacteria are on the grain you used to inoculate the wort. But it was key to keep tasting the sour mash until I was happy with it.

Offline mcdform

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 01:11:30 am »
My BW took 3 days of sour mashing to get very tart.  I thought it was too tart but it scored well in comp.  I tasted it once a day to check the level of sourness since it doesn't change much post sour mash.
Experimental 1 Gallon Batches Weekly - http://brew52.blogspot.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:12:54 am »
You probably didn't sour mash long enough. I usually have to let it go 2-3 days to get a solid amount of acidity. I currently have a blond ale fermenting that I soured for three days and it is quite acidic for pre-boil souring. The yeast are struggling to ferment it out, which is both good and bad.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 08:28:49 am »
I'm sure this changes a lot depending on temperature and how many bacteria are on the grain you used to inoculate the wort. But it was key to keep tasting the sour mash until I was happy with it.
This is my friend's recipe (and my article) and his wort is plenty sour after 24 hours - but it is a natural process culturing off of grain. It might depend on how the grain was handled, stored, grown. Tasting along the way is good advice.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 02:33:22 pm »
I didn't taste it after 24 hours, but it smelled sour. Next time I'll take all of your advice and taste it periodically until it's at the right level. Thanks for the replies.
Dan Chisholm