Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Domestic vs Continental Pilsner Malt  (Read 12143 times)

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
Domestic vs Continental Pilsner Malt
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:26:43 am »
I bought a bag of Rahr Premium Pilsner. Has anyone compared this with continental Pilsner malts? I recognize that if I make a Bo-Pils, it won't be authentic, but how would it differ from one?

The price difference was compelling.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Domestic vs Continental Pilsner Malt
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:32:59 am »
I find continental pilsner malt (ie Bestmalz which I usually use for german styles or Dingemanns for Belgians) to have a bit fuller body than our North American pilsner malt.  They seem to have a touch more sweetness and roundness to them.  I have also noticed that especially when using the Rahr that the beers tend to dry out more from attenuation than when using the Continental versions in the same recipe using the same mash temps and specs.  YMMV...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:16:50 pm »
It's a subtle thing. perhaps too subtle for me. I mostly use domestic ingredients out of a desire to minimize the distance travelled by my beer and mostly it's not even noted in competition. in fact one of the beers that made it through to the second round was an amber lager brewed with domestic ingredients. I entered the same beer in another contest and a grand master 4 judge was on that panel. he picked it out. The first time anyone has.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:41:25 am »
I think there is a difference, but it's quite subtle. There's a certain sumpin' sumpin' that German pils malt has over domestic pils. I prefer to use authentic ingredients for my brewing, but I don't know if it'd matter much in something like a schwarzbier. I do typically use Rahr white wheat for my hefes though...so I wonder much different it'd be with something like Weyermann or Best. Guess I'll find out since I've got a sack of Best wheat comin'. My guess is it won't be much different as hefes are mainly driven by the yeast.
Jesse

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:29:33 am »
I think there is a difference, but it's quite subtle. There's a certain sumpin' sumpin' that German pils malt has over domestic pils.

Definitely a difference. I think the Belgian/French pils is most different from domestic sources but German pils is subtly different but in a way that really seems to matter. I find the Belgian and French pils is more crackery than domestic and German is similar in overall taste to domestic but more complex.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 11:35:22 am »
while I prefer Best Pils to Rahr Pils, Rahr is very good and a good bit bit cheaper.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:27:49 pm »
I think there is a difference, but it's quite subtle. There's a certain sumpin' sumpin' that German pils malt has over domestic pils.

Definitely a difference. I think the Belgian/French pils is most different from domestic sources but German pils is subtly different but in a way that really seems to matter. I find the Belgian and French pils is more crackery than domestic and German is similar in overall taste to domestic but more complex.

I find domestic Pils unacceptable for German lagers. I think that German Pils is a touch more bready/cracker like, Belgian Pils seems a bit more grape like, and domestic Pils is just grainy. To be sure about the German/Belgian thing, I'm doing some experiments currently.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 01:55:17 pm »
The Belgian Pils I use pretty much every time is Castle, and I think it has a subtle sweet grape character, where Weyermann is the German Pils I've used mostly (though Best is great) and I think it has a slightly grainy, crackery character.  But I just made a German Pils with all Avangard - My LHBS is going with Avangard as their only German Pils , so I gave it a shot. I'm curious to see how it compares to other pils malts. I have heard good things about it from a few brewers though.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 08:22:07 am »
Couple things to keep in mind. Some Belgian breweries use German Pils to make their beers. Most of you favorite American breweries use domestic pils to make their Belgian inspired beers. I know for a fact that russian River uses Rahr.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:18 am »
Couple things to keep in mind. Some Belgian breweries use German Pils to make their beers. Most of you favorite American breweries use domestic pils to make their Belgian inspired beers. I know for a fact that russian River uses Rahr.

While true, what professional breweries do is of little real interest to homebrewers. I cannot copy what a pro does and expect it to work in my garage. I just use what works for me.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 11:17:34 am »
While true, what professional breweries do is of little real interest to homebrewers. I cannot copy what a pro does and expect it to work in my garage. I just use what works for me.  8)

Hmmmm....sounds a lot like a book I just read....:)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 11:28:12 am »
Hey, I use Best pils at my brewery for most of my beers (that use pils anyway). So I'm just sayin'. But I know for a homebrew level and commercial level that Rahr pils is pretty darn good. Don't be afraid to brew with it. It won't make a bad beer.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 12:07:41 pm »
The last lager I made with Weyermann was described as "crackery".

I want more of a grainy character so domestic is probably going to be my preference unless the beer is gonna be a Czech pils.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 03:07:08 pm »
Just in case there was any confusion ....

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »

Just in case there was any confusion ....

You use some wheat malt.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com