Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry hoping process  (Read 5265 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: dry hoping process
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 02:43:37 pm »
That, and when I am brewing to drink the beer I want to maximize the possibility that it will be excellent.  One of the easiest ways to do this is learning from the experiences of people like Stan and Denny (et. al.).  I love to experiment, but sometimes experimentation is at odds with the goal of the next batch being the best.

And this may be where I vary from a lot of other brewers.  I'm willing to "sacrifice" a batch if it means future batches will be better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 02:54:05 pm »
I think that is Denny's mission. Reminding folks that their own experience is all that matters. But you are ok too, checking others experiences. Group hug.
haha yeah I didn't intend it to be so 'snappy'.  I just feel it's a bit of a cop out to post 'do it yourself and figure out which way works best' on a forum.  I mean a discussion forum is a place where things can be... discussed... Is it not?

Absolutely, and I hope I didn't appear to be shutting down discussion.  It's always valuable to know what others are doing.  But after I find that out and try it both ways, I know what I want to do for myself.

Me too!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 03:21:06 pm »
That, and when I am brewing to drink the beer I want to maximize the possibility that it will be excellent.  One of the easiest ways to do this is learning from the experiences of people like Stan and Denny (et. al.).  I love to experiment, but sometimes experimentation is at odds with the goal of the next batch being the best.

And this may be where I vary from a lot of other brewers.  I'm willing to "sacrifice" a batch if it means future batches will be better.

Well, me too up to a point.  It depends on what I have on tap.  There are really two other parts to my hesitation with experimenting: controlling the variables and batch size.  I feel like I should have a small system just for experimentation and then the main one for brewing kegs of beer.  Sigh.  Yes I do get a little too anal at times.

On the other hand every batch I have brewed to date has been an experiment of sorts.  I'm getting close to zeroing in a couple of recipes, but not there yet.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 03:21:57 pm »
Me too!

Yep.  And I'd never try to convince you otherwise....

Even though you're wrong!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 03:33:46 pm »
My dry hop schedule is 1 day cold (30-40F), 5-7 days warm (65-75F) and 2 days cold only because of convenience.  Hop oils are extracted because alcohol is a solvent.  Temperature might have a slight influence on the efficiency of extraction. 

Most pro brewers who are known for producing hoppy beers with big aroma dry hop at room temperatures, but the hops do spend some time in the cold due to cold crashing.  Vinnie C., Mitch S. and Jimmy K. don't dry hop at 50F, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to do it.  I think it's pretty hard to ruin a beer with a dry hop regardless of temperature.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 04:10:07 pm »
According to Matt Brynildson, dry hopping at 40F may take twice as long to achieve the same intensity as dry hopping at 60F.  This corrects my previous statement about temperature having a *slight* influence on the efficiency of extraction.  It's more than slight.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 05:36:11 pm »
Me too!

Yep.  And I'd never try to convince you otherwise....

Even though you're wrong!  ;)

This is my favorite post of the year thus far!  ;D

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 06:01:13 pm »

Right. If we all had to rediscover the best way how to brew from scratch through trial and error we'd never get to the good stuff until we're old and retired :)

I want to hear as much experience and data from as many trusted sources as I can. Sometimes I'll feel the need to try it out for myself. Other times it lines up enough with my own experience or makes enough sense where I don't feel the need to perform an independent check. Other times it sets of my BS alarm.

Most often it points me to yet another experiment that takes the next step or is more applicable to my brewing. Regardless, I only have so much time for brewing. Sometimes you just need to make an educated decision based on the info out there.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 06:25:23 pm »
+1. I agree totally. I've done enough trial and error over the years to feel like I had methods for getting great hop character. But every time I've felt that, a new method has come into practice by homebrewers - FWH (though done in Germany historically, I realize), hop bursting, hop stands, etc. Not to mention the buttload of new hop varieties, many bred for unique flavor and aroma.  So I'm always open to trying new things to fine tune the hop character I look for. And this forum is really helpful to get an idea of what other brewers are doing, whether it's something I've tried or not.
Jon H.