Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil Times  (Read 7034 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Boil Times
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 03:18:16 pm »
What Mike is getting at is that melaniodins in and of themselves don't add flavor.  It's the Maillard reactions that create the melanoidins that add flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 06:37:31 pm »
Exactly!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 10:33:11 am »
My standard 90-min boils are a product of having too small a pot to do full all-grain boils, I have to boil-down to have enough room to add the last 1-1.5 gallons of wort from the sparge.

Even when I get a bigger pot, I think I'll stick with 90-minute boils.  The longer boil just 'feel' better, and I like to feel good when brewing :)

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 11:28:29 am »
I use whatever it takes with my boiloff rate to hit my desired gravity. Generally that falls around 75-80 min, but at times it is ~65 min.

Same here

are you using a refractometer to measure the gravity during the boil?  unfortunately, I dont have one yet so i have to take a sample and cool it before taking the hydro reading, which can take up to 20 minutes to cool before getting a good read - i guess i should use an ice bath instead of the freezer to cool it quicker. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for decently priced, yet reliable refractometer? 
mmmm....beer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 11:53:48 am »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 12:05:37 pm »
Hmm, anyone ever used one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370317544138

Quite a bit pricier but the SG scale as well as the Brix scale would be nice.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »
That's a nice feature. Saves one doing a conversion.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 12:18:31 pm »
i already tend to let my beer lager for so long, how can i wait those extra 30 minutes?

i have tended to boil for just over an hour then i get bored and finish with my late addition hops.  probably around 75 minutes total
Don AHA member

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 12:19:10 pm »
Got mine off ebay for about the same price as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200448651179&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=L*F%3F&GUID=8ea0a09b1240a02653727182ffe83da3&itemid=200448651179&ff4=263602_263622

I have a RHB-32ATC from National Industrial Supply.

Thanks - Got one on the way as we speak...now if I only had a more accurate way to measure volume.  I use an electric stove and the bottom of my kettle tends to bow a little when it gets hot, so when I measure my boil volume, it tends to be less accurate then when I pre-measured the water with the flat bottom of a kettle.  
mmmm....beer

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 12:28:53 pm »
Congratulations! You'll love it.

Offline zacbwb

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 12:53:05 pm »
Congratulations! You'll love it.

They should hire you as a sales rep - I just bought one as well.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 02:15:26 pm »
...now if I only had a more accurate way to measure volume.  I use an electric stove and the bottom of my kettle tends to bow a little when it gets hot, so when I measure my boil volume, it tends to be less accurate then when I pre-measured the water with the flat bottom of a kettle.  

Don't forget too, when you're measuring those volumes, that there's about a 4% (if I remember correctly) volume difference between room temp and boiling water.
Joe