Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What size CO2 tank is appropriate?  (Read 12925 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: What size CO2 tank is appropriate?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 07:10:39 am »
One benefit of swapping, at least in my experience, is longer times between needing to pay for hydro tests. The airgas I swap at is sure to give me a tank with the same or earlier date.
Earlier?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Stevie

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 07:26:13 am »
One benefit of swapping, at least in my experience, is longer times between needing to pay for hydro tests. The airgas I swap at is sure to give me a tank with the same or earlier date.
Earlier?

Oops, I mean later. :) Example: I give them a tank due August 2015 and I get a tank due January 2016. I don't think they dig through all of their tanks, most likely find the best tank on the outside edge of the pallet.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 08:23:37 am »

You swap at every fill?  I only swap when I need a retest.  Otherwise, they fill the tanks I bring in.

They were out of steel 20s last year or so when I went in and I got the bonus of swapping to an aluminum tank.  Which is nice with the larger tanks.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 08:31:38 am »
You swap at every fill?

Yep. I find it's faster and basically the same price. I'm normally in and out in 5 minutes. I have 2 10lb tanks, but may upgrade one to a 20lb next time around.

Offline etk29321

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »
Just an fyi.  Check your local suppliers before getting a 10lbs tank.  Fills are never an issue, but when mine came up recertification, I could not find anyone actually willing to do the testing local.  The best I got was an Airgas guy who definitely did not want my business ("you can bring it in and we'll ship it off to our testing center 100miles away and you *may* get it back if you're lucky").
Everyone and their brother would do an on-site swap for a 5 or 20lbs tank.  The 10lbs just seemed to be an uncommon size around here and no one other than Airgas even said they might recertify it.  No one I found did swaps.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2014, 02:28:02 pm »
I'm hoping the "May or may not get it back" comment meant your tank versus a comparable.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2014, 03:03:10 pm »
Just an fyi.  Check your local suppliers before getting a 10lbs tank.  Fills are never an issue, but when mine came up recertification, I could not find anyone actually willing to do the testing local.  The best I got was an Airgas guy who definitely did not want my business ("you can bring it in and we'll ship it off to our testing center 100miles away and you *may* get it back if you're lucky").
Everyone and their brother would do an on-site swap for a 5 or 20lbs tank.  The 10lbs just seemed to be an uncommon size around here and no one other than Airgas even said they might recertify it.  No one I found did swaps.

I found a guy here in Des Moines who only does CO2, mostly industrial and bulk beverage type work, who certified, stamped (Tar weight and full) and labeled a 2.5lb tank for me.  He thought it was "stupid" (according to his office lady) but when I picked it up and explained what I was using it for for he decided it was a pretty good idea. 

The swap only shops can be expected to limit your options but the small, hole in the wall, places can be very helpful.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline etk29321

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 01:38:22 pm »
I'm hoping the "May or may not get it back" comment meant your tank versus a comparable.

That's what I thought at first, but he didn't really reassure me anything would come back.  Either way, I've moved to a smaller 5lbs tank now just so I can do easy swaps and not have to worry about it.  I'm happy to pay a few bucks extra for the convenience of being able to do it at my LHBS.