Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Was the Philly BNA really that bad?  (Read 8850 times)

Offline guido

• Brewer
Re: Was the Philly BNA really that bad?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 11:15:37 am »
So is the consensus to attend or forgo?  This is my first NHC and am looking to take advantage of all that is offered, but if the general sentiment is save $50 and do something else then I don't have a problem doing so.

Cheers and looking forward to next month!

I'm going, and think the outdoor venue will solve a lot of the problem.  However, this is the last chance for the BNA.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 11:18:24 am »
So is the consensus to attend or forgo?  This is my first NHC and am looking to take advantage of all that is offered, but if the general sentiment is save $50 and do something else then I don't have a problem doing so.

Well, since it's in a ballpark I doubt space will be an issue.  All you can eat and drink, plus they are going to have activities like fast pitch contest, dunk a brewcaster, etc., I think $50 is well spent.  And it's a perfect filler for the hole left by the AHA from removing Pro night.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 11:20:43 am »

I'm going, and think the outdoor venue will solve a lot of the problem.  However, this is the last chance for the BNA.

I'm not going for reasons outlined previously, also I am not fond of constant d*ck and fart jokes.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 11:20:51 am »

Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate it, but I won't be spending $50 to go.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:45 am »
I have looked at a couple of the BNA NHC threads over there.

This one has to be corrected next to last [post.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31664&start=32
The guy who said Disco Demolition was at Tiger Stadium has that all wrong. It was at Comisky Park in Chicago with a local DJ, Steve Dahl, as the master of cerimonies.

I didn't want to say anything about that to be polite.  I think it was between games of a double header with Cleveland.  The fans stormed the field and game two was a forfeit for Cleveland.
I never heard of it, but here is what the wikipedia page says:
Disco Demolition Night was an ill-fated baseball promotion that took place on July 12, 1979, at Comiskey Park in Chicago, Illinois. At the climax of the event, a crate filled with disco records was blown up on the field between games of the twi-night doubleheader between the Chicago White Sox and the Detroit Tigers. Many of those in attendance had come to see the explosion rather than the games and rushed onto the field after the detonation. The playing field was damaged both by the explosion and by the rowdy fans to the point where the White Sox were required to forfeit the second game of the doubleheader to the Tigers.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 01:16:00 pm »
I have looked at a couple of the BNA NHC threads over there.

This one has to be corrected next to last [post.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31664&start=32
The guy who said Disco Demolition was at Tiger Stadium has that all wrong. It was at Comisky Park in Chicago with a local DJ, Steve Dahl, as the master of cerimonies.

I didn't want to say anything about that to be polite.  I think it was between games of a double header with Cleveland.  The fans stormed the field and game two was a forfeit for Cleveland.
I never heard of it, but here is what the wikipedia page says:
Disco Demolition Night was an ill-fated baseball promotion that took place on July 12, 1979, at Comiskey Park in Chicago, Illinois. At the climax of the event, a crate filled with disco records was blown up on the field between games of the twi-night doubleheader between the Chicago White Sox and the Detroit Tigers. Many of those in attendance had come to see the explosion rather than the games and rushed onto the field after the detonation. The playing field was damaged both by the explosion and by the rowdy fans to the point where the White Sox were required to forfeit the second game of the doubleheader to the Tigers.

Hey...I was close.  I also seem to remember beer being discounted (to ensure a sellout) so that it was almost free.  It retrospect, it probably wasn't a good idea.  The cheap beer fueled the rowdy fan behavior.  I think this was the brainchild of Bill Veeck.  He was famous for publicity stunts, like signing a midget and sending him to bat in a game.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 02:59:30 pm »
Back on topic, we don't plan on going. Mrs. R says she will just want a quiet evening with a beer and dinner after stewarding all day for the 2nd round. Sounds like a plan to me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 03:34:54 pm »

I have been happy going to NHC for many years without attending BNA ever.  Wednesday is a good night to see what's available locally within walking distance, which is usually quite a bit.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 04:52:05 pm »
I'll be there, but that's no surprise
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 07:14:29 am »

I have been happy going to NHC for many years without attending BNA ever.  Wednesday is a good night to see what's available locally within walking distance, which is usually quite a bit.

not that this will change Jeff's stance, but just a reminder that it is on Thursday night this year for anyone thinking about going.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 07:37:16 am »
I'll be there this year.  Told the girlfriend to choose which tickets she wanted and she picked the VIP ones... so I guess we're finally important.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 11:53:14 am »
I'll definitely skip the BN party this year unless someone drags me to it.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »
Well any crowding issues should be resolved with this venue.  This is where the Michigan Brewers Guild has their Winter Beer Festival each year.  That's an 800+ beer/6000 person event.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »

I feel the same way.  Maybe we can go grab a few beers, instead.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2014, 12:44:30 pm »

I feel the same way.  Maybe we can go grab a few beers, instead.
May be taste my beers?

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com