Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suggest a Port?  (Read 3305 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Suggest a Port?
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:26:10 pm »
My buddy Steve is finally graduating med school after many years of hard work.  I'd like to get him a decent bottle of port - my budget is right around $40.  I am far from an expert.  Any ideas of a commonly-available port that'll fit the bill?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Suggest a Port?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:30:14 pm »
For that price range I'd suggest Graham's Six Grape.  I assume you are wanting a .750 as opposed to a split, so $40 is the challenge.  In the price range you are looking for a ruby port or a vintage character.  Do you know his favorite port house?  If you've heard him talking about a specific one, most Rubys are roughly the same price range with vintage character being a bit more.  Sorry, no easy answers.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:20:57 am »
My tastes always gravitate to Tawny. One problem with Port is there are few places I can find that have much of a selection. We like the Fonseca, but they are under your price point for the most part.

Ramos Pinto 10 year should be right about what you want to spend or perhaps a touch more, but in truth I haven't seen if for sale anywhere near me in quite some time.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:08:14 am »
Sounds like I need to man up and spring for a better bottle!   :D  Price aside, what else is good?  I'm mainly a beer guy myself, so I'm kind of out of my element here. 

"Donny, you're out of your element here!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:34 pm »
My wife likes the Taylor Fladgate 20 year tawny.  We opened a bottle of Warre's 20 year last night.  Pretty good.

Taylor Fladgate LBV is solid for a budget pick.

Best port I ever had was a 2003 Vintage from Sandeman.  Bought in Porto.  Drank it by the fire pit in Chicago years later.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 06:58:32 am »
If you have the time, make your own.i made a chocolate raspberry port a few years back  and it was awesome.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:57:01 am »
I was going to suggest the Taylor Fladgate or the Bin Fonseca.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 12:41:29 pm »
I was going to suggest the Taylor Fladgate or the Bin Fonseca.

+1  I prefer a tawny port myself.  You should be able to get a 10 year old tawny for around $40.  A 20 year old will run you in the $60 range.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 03:45:45 pm »
I know this has little to do with the OP's question, but indulge me, I like thinking about this... 

When I first discovered that I really liked Port, it coincided with the issue of Wine Spectator that hailed 1994 as the "Port vintage of the century."  There were 4, 100 point wines and many 95 and above.  I bought 3 of the 4 100 point wines (the 4th was ~$500) and finished out a case with 95 pointers and above.  It is sitting at the bottom of my cellar at 53* waiting for a retirement party - about 10 more years.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »
I know this has little to do with the OP's question, but indulge me, I like thinking about this... 

When I first discovered that I really liked Port, it coincided with the issue of Wine Spectator that hailed 1994 as the "Port vintage of the century."  There were 4, 100 point wines and many 95 and above.  I bought 3 of the 4 100 point wines (the 4th was ~$500) and finished out a case with 95 pointers and above.  It is sitting at the bottom of my cellar at 53* waiting for a retirement party - about 10 more years.

Nice.  The bottles we brought back from Portugal did not last but a few years.

So we will have to go back.  I believe the bottle of Warre's we opened last week is a 96 pointer.  Very tasty and lighter than the Taylor Fladgate.  But the wife loves the TF.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 03:56:46 pm »
I have no input for this topic other than every time I read a comment I think that if the weather is really bad, any sample will be good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »
If you have the time, make your own.i made a chocolate raspberry port a few years back  and it was awesome.

In addition to buying a bottle now, I'd like to give this a shot soon.  Did you use a kit?  It would be great to do up a batch and see how it develops over the years.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »
Every time I read a thread like this I just envision my wallet opening up and dollar bills (or 20's, in reality) just flying out. I haven't had a port in ages, but when I smoked cigars I drank quite a bit. Port is a great pairing with many Nicaraguan cigars, which often have a nice, red wine character to them.

I recall Fonseca and Sandeman being the ones I drank most often (possibly because they were the ones I had easiest access too, it's been a long time so I can't be too sure).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 05:47:50 am »
Sademan is typically the easiest to get. Fonseca is pretty easy too. My wife and I drink port every Christmas eve and through the rest of the holiday. We generally have 6-10 bottles at any given time. What we have found is we don't care for Noval and as far as just nice to drink the Fonseca is great. The Ramos was a find back in the day and I didn't realize exactly what I had found. It is pretty darn nice, but like I mentioned I haven't seen it around in forever.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!