Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suggest a Port?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Suggest a Port?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 07:04:26 am »
I've got some unfinished Sandeman Ruby that's been sitting in my cabinet for perhaps several years. I much preferred the Tawny. When I make sausage I've been subbing the Ruby for red wine.

What is y'alls opinion about the longevity of an opened bottle? It's hard for me to consume an entire bottle- even over the course of a week.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 08:05:06 am »
Years is a little long for an open bottle.  But they will keep fine for a couple weeks IMO.  Beyond that, not so sure.

Sandeman is not readily available where I shop.  TF, Fonseca, Warre's.  Sometimes Noval.  I've laid down vintages from the birth years of my kids, but unfortunately 2009 was not a vintage year.  I will have to get Bordeaux or else a Colheita for that year.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 08:56:10 am »
But they will keep fine for a couple weeks IMO.  Beyond that, not so sure.

Yes.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:08 am »
I've gone years with open bottles (corked of course). The Tawny aging is essentially an oxidation process in wood so I've never felt bad about keeping open bottles around. I've never had a bottle of port go off, probably a combination of alcohol and the fact the wine is already oxidized.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 11:01:36 am »
If you have the time, make your own.i made a chocolate raspberry port a few years back  and it was awesome.

In addition to buying a bottle now, I'd like to give this a shot soon.  Did you use a kit?  It would be great to do up a batch and see how it develops over the years.
Yes, it was a kit. I think it was about 6-8 years ago and I still have a couple bottles.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 06:20:09 pm »
Who has experience with brewing port?  I haven't done research into available kits yet.  Is port always fortified with brandy?  I guess I have some work to do here. 

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 07:03:08 am »
Who has experience with brewing port?  I haven't done research into available kits yet.  Is port always fortified with brandy?  I guess I have some work to do here.

Myself, I have never done one.  One of my neighbors did a ruby port about 10 years ago and I still have an unopened bottle.  It was pretty good.  There are kits for them and yes it is fortified with brandy.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 09:34:46 am »
lots of tasty stuff mentioned.

I prefer a fairly inexpensive aged 10-year tawny port.  I've had a little better, but this is the one that makes me happiest from an enjoyment/price standpoint.

http://www.quintadoportal.com/en/quinta_do_portal/o_douro/port_wines/aged_tawny_ports

my current bottles are labelled $28.99 though it doesn't seem to be sold locally anymore.  bummer.
Regardless of price I prefer it slightly over Taylor Fladgate (though I haven't done that fun head-to-head in a while and should revisit!)   8)

I almost had some last night, but went with some V. Sattui Madeira instead. 

cheers--
--Michael