Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to buy spices online  (Read 3954 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Where to buy spices online
« on: May 10, 2014, 06:29:16 am »
To the cooks in the audience - where do you shop online for quality spices and spice blends? In particular, I'm looking for good quality regional spice blends like Ras el Hanout, Garam Masala, Curry Powder, etc.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Where to buy spices online
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:47:28 am »
http://www.atlanticspice.com/

They have a good selection and are pretty close to you.  As for quality i am not a spice expert, but i believe its good.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 07:10:22 am »
http://www.atlanticspice.com/

They have a good selection and are pretty close to you.  As for quality i am not a spice expert, but i believe its good.

Cool! I'll have to check them out in person next time I get out to the Cape.
Eric B.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:27:49 am »
For the not so exotic things like specific blends or Rubs, I think you can't beat your local ethnic market. Find out where the Indian and Asian people buy their stuff. That store will have a ton of spices and heavy turnover so the spices will likely be fresher and cheaper than your normal corporate chain.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 07:37:09 am »
I use Monterey spice company. Good quality and price

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:55:23 am »
For the not so exotic things like specific blends or Rubs, I think you can't beat your local ethnic market. Find out where the Indian and Asian people buy their stuff. That store will have a ton of spices and heavy turnover so the spices will likely be fresher and cheaper than your normal corporate chain.

I've been buying spices from an Indian market for years. It's awesome and the process are super cheap compared to a supermarket. Makes sense considering how much they use in their food.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:09:36 am »
I've ordered online from these guys for years and years.  They have also been opening up brick and mortar stores as well.  Not sure if they are out your way yet.  Always good.

Penzeys Spices - http://www.penzeys.com/

Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:11:34 am »

I've been buying spices from an Indian market for years. It's awesome and the process are super cheap compared to a supermarket. Makes sense considering how much they use in their food.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Yeah, an Indian market is THE place for spices, for price and selection. After all, they grow a good % of the world's spices.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 06:58:15 pm »
http://www.frontiercoop.com
Have been buying wholesale from them for years at work. You can get spices, herbs, and medicinal herbs by the pound or in shakers for spices. I actually get a lot of brewing herbs like licorice root, dandelion etc. from them. They do a big volume so always fresh. Also good for essential oils. Deliver in a few days. I actually don't always find good stuff at ethnic markets. They buy big bags of ground spices and don't always sell it fast. My rule of thumb is that if the color is dull, its old or not stored properly.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:05:23 pm »
Forgot to say: they have a great selection of loose tea. And yo can get stuff like grains of paradise by the pound.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 07:44:14 am »
http://www.frontiercoop.com
Have been buying wholesale from them for years at work. You can get spices, herbs, and medicinal herbs by the pound or in shakers for spices. I actually get a lot of brewing herbs like licorice root, dandelion etc. from them. They do a big volume so always fresh. Also good for essential oils. Deliver in a few days. I actually don't always find good stuff at ethnic markets. They buy big bags of ground spices and don't always sell it fast. My rule of thumb is that if the color is dull, its old or not stored properly.

I didn't realize they sold direct. Whole Foods carries their products (including their Simply Organic line). I use their Garam Masala in most of my Indian-inspired dishes. They have a lot of really nice looking spice blends on their website. With the summer grilling & garden season coming up I'm going to have to grab a few.

I'll take a close look at what they have next time I get to WF to see if I can save on shipping.
Eric B.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 07:57:57 am »
I agree with some of the other posts. Why buy online? Just frequent the local ethnic markets if you have them. What I have found is best is to go to the store for the spice type you are after and ask. Often they will point you to something used frequently in that cuisine. It will be inexpensive and just as good if not better than what you would have received from an online source.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:07:30 am »
I also agree about buying from your local ethnic markets. They usually have ridiculously cheap ingredients. Sure, you might have to source from a few different shops to get everything across the planet but it's cool going in those shops and seeing what else intrigues you. You'll also find your basic spices in there for much cheaper than the regular supermarket. For $2 I bought enough bay leaves to last a lifetime.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 10:25:08 am »
http://www.thespicehouse.com/

They are my favorite for what I cannot find locally. I met the owners, and they are really excellent folks. Quality of ingredients is also better than what I find around town as well.
Kyle M.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 12:01:21 pm »
Dandelion Botanical has an epic selection of a lot of weird stuff. I use them for my bitters.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article