Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooking with Belgian candi syrup  (Read 1486 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Cooking with Belgian candi syrup
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:15:01 am »
I get spam email once a week from Saveur magazine, which gives dinner suggestions for the week.  They had a recipe for Vietnamese pork meatballs the other day that looked intriguing:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Bun-Cha-Vietnamese-Pork-Meatball-Noodle-Salad

As you can see, the recipe calls for caramelizing sugar.  Being lazy, I just skipped that step and used a couple of tablespoons of D45 amber candi syrup.

I grilled them up last night for dinner, along with the rice noodle, herbs and lettuce.  Amazing!  The caramelly syrup with the salty fish sauce and shallots made those grilled morsels fantastically delicious.

My only other tweak was to the sauce.  I didn't have any green papaya, so I made this version of Nuoc Cham instead:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/29/dining/294krex.html

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cooking with Belgian candi syrup
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:06:35 am »
YUM!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Cooking with Belgian candi syrup
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:55:57 am »
I could see that working really well. I had some of those Vietnamese pork meatballs at a restaurant a couple weekends ago and the caramel is very obvious.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing