Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Burst Ideas  (Read 3610 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Hop Burst Ideas
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:31:24 am »
I have about 7-8 varieties of hops and am looking to do a hop burst Pale Ale today.  The mash is about ready.  When should I throw them in?  1 minute, 5 minutes, flame-out?  What does the forum say about this?  Should I use any bittering hops at all?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hop Burst Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:37:06 am »
A couple different ideas.

1/  Add them all incrementally from 15 down to FO.

2/ Add them all at FO, then do a hop stand for 30 - 45 minutes before you chill. Of course you could do a hopstand after #1 as well.

I've done all the above, Dave. Personally, I like #1 with a hopstand the best. It'll be good !
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 08:40:16 am »
BTW, no I don't use a bittering charge when I do these.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:41:48 am »
A couple different ideas.

1/  Add them all incrementally from 15 down to FO.

2/ Add them all at FO, then do a hop stand for 30 - 45 minutes before you chill. Of course you could do a hopstand after #1 as well.

I've done all the above, Dave. Personally, I like #1 with a hopstand the best. It'll be good !

I knew I could count  on you for this one Jon!   ;)
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 08:43:59 am »
Go figure  ;)
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:08:33 am »
Is this an APA or an IPA?

I like doing as much of my flavor and aroma addition as I can at flameout, but for something like an APA where you don't want to overshoot your IBU's you probably want to use additions where you can accurately calculate your IBU's to get your bitterness (FWH and/or additions in the 5-15 minute range). Then you can chill to 180F and add the rest of your hops and do a hop stand for as long as you can stand it.

For an IPA, I just add everything at flameout and don't worry about calculating IBU's.

Make sure you save some hops for dry hops, too!

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 09:17:56 am »
Yeah, good point. The 15 down to FO with a hopstand works for IPA- ish hopping .  If this is actually an APA, a  little more attention to IBUs is in order. I'd go with the 15 minute approach, using software to get to appropriate APA bittering levels. +1 to leaving room to dry hop, of course.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 09:38:44 am »
Is this an APA or an IPA?

I like doing as much of my flavor and aroma addition as I can at flameout, but for something like an APA where you don't want to overshoot your IBU's you probably want to use additions where you can accurately calculate your IBU's to get your bitterness (FWH and/or additions in the 5-15 minute range). Then you can chill to 180F and add the rest of your hops and do a hop stand for as long as you can stand it.

For an IPA, I just add everything at flameout and don't worry about calculating IBU's.

Make sure you save some hops for dry hops, too!

And the other hop head I knew would respond to this.   :)

Thanks Eric, good stuff!  Gravity is going to be about 1.055 so right in the middle. 

It's last year's homegrown which I'm finally using up so it will be a 5 minute addition and 30 minute hop stand.  Looks to be about 12 oz of Cascade 5 oz of Chinook.  We will see how it works out....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 09:39:50 am »
OK, change of plan.  Seems I am going to lunch as soon as the boil is done for Mother's Day.  So it's going to be about a 2 hour hop stand......
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 09:43:52 am »
You'll have to report back on this one, Dave !  I'm curious to hear your impressions of how it comes out.
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:25 am »
You'll have to report back on this one, Dave !  I'm curious to hear your impressions of how it comes out.

Will do!
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 03:13:10 pm »
Well it ended up being a 4 hour hop stand.  The wort was at 142F when I turned on the IC.  Not sure what that will do as isomerization stops below 180F, right?
Dave Zach

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 03:32:53 pm »
That might be the longest hop stand in the history of hop stands.   

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:41:28 pm »
Well it ended up being a 4 hour hop stand.  The wort was at 142F when I turned on the IC.  Not sure what that will do as isomerization stops below 180F, right?

Yeah, you won't extract much bitterness below 180F. From 212F to 180F, you would in that range though. But you will have extracted a sizeable amount of hop flavor and aroma though. Now you really have to post the end results. Gotta know !
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 04:38:37 pm »
Did you chill before adding the steeped hops?  Can you post your recipe and process?