Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bourbon Barrel Aging  (Read 8088 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Bourbon Barrel Aging
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:38:52 am »
I'd like to share ideas, tips, tricks and information on bourbon or whiskey barrel aging.

I currently have a bourbon barrel that I'm getting ready to rack a RIS into for some extended aging. I plan to age the stout for approximately 180 days. Then back blend it with some fresh stout to the desireable flavor level.

Anyone want to share their experiences or start some discussion related to this aging technique?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Bourbon Barrel Aging
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:43:04 am »
Don't use a sulfur stick!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:16 am »

Whats your personal experience with this denny? I know the sulfur stick kills unwanted bugs in the barrel, so why would you not want to use one?
Cheers,
Jeff
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:08:59 am by Jeff M »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:06:16 am »

Whats your personal experience with denny? I know the sulfur stick kills unwanted bugs in the barrel, so why would you not want to use one?
Cheers,
Jeff

If the barrel is full of alcohol vapor, introducing flame could be explosive.

If the barrel is not full of vapor, different story.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:08:19 am »

Whats your personal experience with this denny? I know the sulfur stick kills unwanted bugs in the barrel, so why would you not want to use one?
Cheers,
Jeff

Gotcha, it makes sense, wasnt sure if there was a story or specific reason.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:12:17 am »
I'm sure someone has blown one up, but I have no personal experience with barrels. 

I desire one, to some degree, but not sure I need to spend the dollars.

I'll play around with chips, cubes, spirals and what not for the time being.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:17:01 am »
IIRC Gordon told the story of a barrel blowing up. He got hurt pretty bad.   +1 to chips and spirals.
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:19:03 am »
IIRC Gordon told the story of a barrel blowing up. He got hurt pretty bad.   +1 to chips and spirals.

I do vaguely remember reading something about that. i think you are right, its in his book.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:19:11 am »

Cheers,
Jeff

Gotcha, it makes sense, wasnt sure if there was a story or specific reason.

Yep.  Gordon Strong blew himself and another guy up by putting a sulfur stick into a barrel that hadn't been properly cleaned.  Fairly serious injuries.  IIRC, he starts his book with the story.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 11:19:21 am »
Taste buds and olfactory nerves are closely intertwined.  Ever Smell a burning sulfur stick?
I have....cant fathom that flavor zone being imparted to the beverage...Also I believe that
the bugs actually inhabit the inner portions of the wood.  Smoke from sulfur would only
scratch the surface.

Better method of attack would perhaps be HOT boiling water IMO.  Even better may be
ETOH on the bbl interior.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 02:18:05 pm »
I think sulfur sticks are safe to use with wine barrels because the amount of alcohol left in the barrel is far lower. Personally I don't know that I would take the risk at all. Many breweries seem to do just fine steam cleaning the barrels.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:21:14 am »

Ahh yes...this is rule #1!  8)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 10:34:17 am »
Sealing a bourbon barrel can be a daunting task.

I reconstituted my bourbon barrel, as it's been sitting empty in my cellar. My first step toward the ulimate goal of barrel aging is to get the bourbon barrel rehydrated and liquid tight. This process takes a couple of days along with plenty of hot water. The first step is to soak the barrel in a big tub of hot water for about an hour. The second step is to rest the barrel on a stand and then fill the barrel with hot water. You will most likely have to keep adding water over the course of several days to eventually get it to seal up and stop leaking. Once the barrel is sealed up it is now ready to be sanitized.  :)
Ron Price

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »
Better not to do step 2 in the living room - or any other room without floor drains.  ;D
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 10:41:32 am »
Yes Jimmy...floor drains would be great, but most homebrewers aren't that elaborate.   ;) ;D :)

The next step in my quest to barrel age some beer is to sanitize the bourbon barrel. At this point my research led to a good freind of mine who's a vintner for Nassau Valley Vineyard. He gave me a recommendation for sanitizing the bourbon barrel. He recommended using 1 cup of citric acid powder plus 8 Campden tablets crushed (Potassium Metabisulfite) mixed with 1 gallon hot water. I recommend using a well ventilated area when mixing the citric acid. I then added this solution to the reconstituted/drained bourbon barrel. Finally, I topped off the bourbon barrel with hot water. The barrel will now rest with this sanitizing solution until I'm ready to fill it with beer.
Ron Price