Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reviving Oak Barrel  (Read 2418 times)

Offline orangehero

• 1st Kit
Reviving Oak Barrel
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:54:38 pm »
I have a lead on a 30 gal oak wine barrel that's been empty for the last 6 years.

When getting an old barrel like this what are some things to look for? I understand to look for cracked staves, mold, bad smells. Or is it not even worth the bother?

How serious is the risk of acetobacter?

If there's a large acetobacter colony, is the barrel completely useless or can you still make it work for something like a Lambic if you get a good microbe colony established? Or does the acetobacter outcompete anything and everything? I'd really like to run a Flander's Red in it if possible.

Would running steam into the barrel through a diffuser get rid of any contaminants?

http://www.funkfactorygeuzeria.com/2012/01/steam-cleaning-barrel-part-3.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:58:12 pm by orangehero »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Reviving Oak Barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:53:05 am »
After sitting dry for so long there is no guarantee it will even hold liquid. It doesn't matter how microbe-free it might be if it won't hold your beer. The only way to test the barrel is to fill it with water, let it soak and then see if it leaks.

It is very likely to have an intolerable colony of acetobacter and wild yeast. I wouldn't try using it for anything other than trying to make vinegar.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing