Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Settling tank  (Read 2225 times)

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
Settling tank
« on: May 13, 2014, 08:39:54 pm »
So I'm preparing to brew my first lager. I want to go from the kettle into a better bottle that I will use as settling tank to chill the work don't from 70 to 45 where I will rack into my speidel tank fermenter. I know this will put pressure on the better bottle as the temp changes so I was thinking of putting a carbon cap on the top with a inline sanitary air filter in the racking outlet. This should protect from any bugs getting in as air is drawn into the better bottle.

Does this seem like it would work? Am I missing something potentially dangerous here?
Macon, GA

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Settling tank
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 08:53:59 pm »
I cold crash in a better bottle all the time without issue. The higher the fill, the less compression.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:39 pm »
Why don't you just put some foil over the top? If you haven't pitched yet, there's no reason to worry about sucking in air.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:13:34 am »
Just to get you in the know we brewers call that a "bright tank" or even "secondary". Keeps us speaking the same language.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 05:47:40 am »

Why don't you just put some foil over the top? If you haven't pitched yet, there's no reason to worry about sucking in air.

Good point.

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 05:59:07 am »
Just to get you in the know we brewers call that a "bright tank" or even "secondary". Keeps us speaking the same language.

It's not a bright tank or a secondary as it's before fermentation....unless I've really missed something...I use those terms often when appropriate after primary fermentation.

I'm just looking for the most sanitary way to settle out break material so there is less present when I pitch the yeast and actually ferment, but it looks like the consensus is that I'm over complicating this. Thanks for the feed back guys!
Macon, GA

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 06:03:43 am »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 06:05:40 am »

It's not a bright tank or a secondary as it's before fermentation....unless I've really missed something...I use those terms often when appropriate after primary fermentation.

I'm just looking for the most sanitary way to settle out break material so there is less present when I pitch the yeast and actually ferment, but it looks like the consensus is that I'm over complicating this. Thanks for the feed back guys!

My apologies. I misread your post. I should wait till after my coffee to read/post on forums. This is not the first time.

I guess you are trying to leave as much trub behind as possible. Personally, I think this is wasted time. Just whirlpool, run off as much clear wort as possible. There is nothing to fear by bringing over some break material into fermentor. In fact, some is beneficial to fermentation.

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 06:09:53 am »
Yeah I was a little worried because BIAB and that tends to produce excessive trub. Maybe I should just chill. 
Macon, GA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 06:13:32 am »
Yeah I was a little worried because BIAB and that tends to produce excessive trub. Maybe I should just chill.

Just let it sit ann extra 10 minutes in kettles. Won't hurt anything.Run as clear as possible and don't sweat the rest.

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 06:21:43 am »
Just a thought but will your boil kettle fit in your cooling chamber then one less transfer and one less thing to clean.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 06:40:43 am »

I do this with every lager.  I'll fill a 6 gallon better bottle almost to the top, put tin foil on it and throw it in the fermentation chamber.  The next morning I rack the wort over to another better bottle, aerate, pitch and let it go.  After settling out overnight, there's usually an inch or two of sediment in the bottle of the first BB.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 07:08:40 am »

I do this with every lager.  I'll fill a 6 gallon better bottle almost to the top, put tin foil on it and throw it in the fermentation chamber.  The next morning I rack the wort over to another better bottle, aerate, pitch and let it go.  After settling out overnight, there's usually an inch or two of sediment in the bottle of the first BB.

I used to as well but it was an extra hassle I didn't care for and didn't notice any real difference if I didn't, except maybe the yeast was a little cleaner on repitching.