Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flameout hop addition versus dry hop addition experiment  (Read 7591 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Flameout hop addition versus dry hop addition experiment
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:29:06 pm »
I just made an IPA and dry hopped with 2 ounces Centennial and your .5 ounce Chinook.  I'm thinking just to compare I will brew the same exact recipe but add those same amount of dry hops to the flameout addition and not dry hop at all.  Has anyone done this or something similar and if so, how was taste and aroma affected?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline bbesser

• Cellarman
  • Engineer to brewer, then back to engineer..for now
Re: Flameout hop addition versus dry hop addition experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:44:26 pm »
To me, it seems like you will end up with less aroma by adding to flameout rather than dry hop, but will get an increase in flavor.

My reasoning is that the active/vigorous fermentation in the primary will drive off some of the more volatile hop aroma contributed by the flameout additions. 

I say do it anyway and see what version you like the most.
"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has lost the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 04:47:06 pm »
I have never tried the same recipe but have done many pale ales and ipa with flameout additions instead of dry hops. I thought the results were pretty decent but prefer doing both flameout and dry hop these days.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 05:31:30 pm »
Amounts being equal, you'll get more intense hop flavor and aroma from the dry hop addition. Not that you won't make good beer from just a flavor and flameout addition, because you will. It just won't be as intense. American ale styles often benefit from dry hopping, but more subtle, clean beers like lagers typically benefit more from standard boiling additions.
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:50:43 am »
I just made an IPA and dry hopped with 2 ounces Centennial and your .5 ounce Chinook.  I'm thinking just to compare I will brew the same exact recipe but add those same amount of dry hops to the flameout addition and not dry hop at all.  Has anyone done this or something similar and if so, how was taste and aroma affected?

Yes.  You get a tiny bit of flavor and bitterness from the flameout addition and not a lot of aroma.  With dry hops, you get a lot of aroma, a tiny bit of flavor and no bitterness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:15:58 am »
I have been expeimenting with hop stands and getting as much aroma as I ever got dry hopping. I have been cooling my wort to 160, tossing the hops in, and waiting half an hour before turning my chiller back on.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:18:20 pm »
I have been expeimenting with hop stands and getting as much aroma as I ever got dry hopping. I have been cooling my wort to 160, tossing the hops in, and waiting half an hour before turning my chiller back on.

Ya know, that's something I need to do more often!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 12:26:47 pm »

And the bonus is a big boost in flavor along with the aroma contributions.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »

Same here.  In fact, after adopting that process it seems to me that additional hops via dry-hopping just change the aroma/flavor, but do not necessarily increase or intensify it.  Gives a dryer, less candy-like hop perception that I don't automatically find more tasty.  Sometimes I'd swear the hop character post-dry-hop is more muted than just prior.

Therefore my next IPA shall be a split batch.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 12:42:39 pm »
I guess we should all just brew more beer for the sake of experimentation.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 12:43:16 pm »
Therefore my next IPA shall be a split batch.

Good on ya!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 12:48:40 pm »

And the bonus is a big boost in flavor along with the aroma contributions.

+1. Big boost. I've gone down to 170F so far and have liked it better than all other temps. I don't want the bitterness from a FO stand anyway, and flavor and aroma are really nice at the cooler stands. Aroma especially stays more intact at cooler temps.  Liking it.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 01:19:25 pm »
Doing a hop stand does contribute bitterness as well correct? I have been doing more pale ales so this is something I definitely need to try soon

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 01:26:30 pm »
Doing a hop stand does contribute bitterness as well correct? I have been doing more pale ales so this is something I definitely need to try soon

Depends on the temp you add the hops at. If you add at flameout, yes you'll extract noticeable bitterness. If you account for this, it's not an issue. Maybe consider a flameout stand as roughly a 20 minute addition. But I prefer to cool to 185F or less and then add the hops for a stand. You extract much less bitterness at this temp and below, but you'll get better flavor and aroma character, which gets driven off at higher temperatures. Give it a try !
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 01:35:24 pm »

Depends on the temp you add the hops at. If you add at flameout, yes you'll extract noticeable bitterness. If you account for this, it's not an issue. Maybe consider a flameout stand as roughly a 20 minute addition. But I prefer to cool to 185F or less and then add the hops for a stand. You extract much less bitterness at this temp and below, but you'll get better flavor and aroma character, which gets driven off at higher temperatures. Give it a try !

It looks like beersmith calculates a steep/whirlpool addition as 1/2 the amount of IBUs from an equal timed boil addition. So a 30 minute 'steep/whirlpool' addition is equal to 1/2 the amount IBUs of a 30 minute boil addition. I assume this is based on flameout but it does not specify.

Maybe I will replace my dry hop addition with a lower temp hop stand addition on the next attempt.