Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home Water Testing, Hanna's Test Kits and Colorimeters, and Palmer's Water  (Read 3465 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
When I plumbed the garage/brewery a couple years ago I used PEX.  great stuff.  Even stands up to cold weather better than other materials.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

I had an acid neutralizing filter installed today.  Wow!  My post ANF values are higher than I expected.  I am assuming that the final numbers will be lower after all of the calcite dust has been rinsed from the bed.

Pre-ANF pH: 6.0
Post-ANF pH: 7.4

Pre-ANF hardness: 60ppm
Post-ANF hardness: 135ppm

Pre-ANF alkalinity: 25ppm
Post-ANF alkalinity: 119ppm

Brewing with neutralized water will be a new adventure for me.  I have never had to acidify a mash because I have always had a relatively soft water supply. 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
I would have installed a bypass for brewing water. This is because I have about 250ppm alkalinity and all I can think is 'But you're ruining your water!'

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

S. cerevisiae

The neutralizer has a built-in bypass, but I do not intend to use it for brewing.  Call me crazy, but I am looking forward to the change.