Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun false bottom  (Read 12159 times)

Offline sundog14

• 1st Kit
Mash Tun false bottom
« on: May 13, 2014, 08:15:35 am »
I'm looking to make a false bottom out of perforated SS stock. Anyone know of material thickness and hole size?
Thanks,
Tom

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Mash Tun false bottom
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:24:35 am »
It is all in here. I saw a big sheet of the perforated SS where I worked in the storage rack by the machine shop, no idea what they were going to use it for. I mentioned this because you should be able to buy the material rather than punch all of those holes, unless you are a skilled metal worker. Or just buy a screen from one of the suppliers.

http://brewhardware.com/false-bottoms-filters/152-falsebottom
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:18:09 pm »
Mc Master has perforated stock.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:37:12 pm »
I used the following and it works well.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=13521&step=4

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:39:14 pm »
I used the following and it works well.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=13521&step=4

That's the correct hole size (3/32") and on center spacing (5/32").

Offline sundog14

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 06:28:44 am »
Thanks to all that replied. I'm a new brewer making mead and beer. I had an order placed for copper bar stock yesterday with onlinemetals and could have added the perforated metal. So .06" thickness works out to ~ 16 gauge which sounds correct. I had thought that the holes should be ~ 1/8" (.125") so this sounds good also. I've looked at websites, videos, etc. about various tuns (also called HLT or MLT?) and pretty much decided on the cylindrical water cooler type; probably 5 gallon as that's the size of the batches I'm brewing. My plan is to add a dip tube to the ball valve and mount the screen above the valve on stand-offs. That way there is a "smooth" bottom with no valves, pipes in the way when I stir. I may add a thermometer. What do you think?
Thanks again,
Tom 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 07:06:33 am »
A 5 gallon mash tun will mash about 10lbs of grain, which is a 5% (1.050 OG) beer for a 5 gallon batch. Unless you only make session beers get a 10 gallon mash tun.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:01:22 pm »
A 5-gallon mash tun will accommodate approximately 13lbs of malt with a liquor to grist ratio of 1.25 quarts per pound.   I can easily achieve 5.75 gallons of 1.062 wort using 11lbs of grist in my 5-gallon beverage cooler-based mash/lauter tun.    I could hit the mid to high-80s with 13lbs of grist and a final kettle liquid volume of 5 gallons with careful sparging.   

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »
I've looked at websites, videos, etc. about various tuns (also called HLT or MLT?) and pretty much decided on the cylindrical water cooler type; probably 5 gallon as that's the size of the batches I'm brewing. My plan is to add a dip tube to the ball valve and mount the screen above the valve on stand-offs. That way there is a "smooth" bottom with no valves, pipes in the way when I stir. I may add a thermometer. What do you think?

Trust me, you do not want that much dead space in your mash tun. You'll risk bed compaction and a stuck sparge any time the liquid in the dead space falls below the bottom of the false bottom, which can happen if you attempt to drain the tun too quickly.  Additionally, dead space is wasted space in a cooler-based mash/lauter tun.

I have been using beverage cooler-based mash tuns with false bottoms since 1993.  Plumbing above the false bottom is the not a problem in practice because the mash should be floating.

Here's an internal shot of my current mash/lauter tun (my false bottom has 16% open space):

With that said, a false bottom is a waste of money if you are planning to use what Dave Miller refers to as "infusion rinsing" (a.k.a. batch sparging).  Batch sparging and continuous sparging (a.k.a. fly sparging) are  different animals with different crush requirements.  Denny's setup allows for a much finer crush than a traditional false bottom-based design.  Batch sparging requires a much finer crush than continuous sparging.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:49:45 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:34:53 pm »
A 5-gallon mash tun will accommodate approximately 13lbs of malt with a liquor to grist ratio of 1.25 quarts per pound.   I can easily achieve 5.75 gallons of 1.062 wort using 11lbs of grist in my 5-gallon beverage cooler-based mash/lauter tun.    I could hit the mid to high-80s with 13lbs of grist and a final kettle liquid volume of 5 gallons with careful sparging.

sure you can, just barely though. and 1.25 is really thick, not ideal for conversion. why make life harder than it has to be? particularly when you are first getting into all grain. I've been happy with my 72 qt coleman for several years now. I can brew 12 gallons of moderate strength or a 5 and 5 partigyle strong beer small beer combo or brew a 5 gallon batch of whatever. batch spargeing allows me to not worry about stuck sparges and be done spargeing in ~25 minutes.

Over all, while a 5 gallon Mash tun might be enough I think the OP would be better off with a larger mash tun.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 09:25:22 am »
Batch sparging requires a much finer crush than continuous sparging.

No, it doesn't require it.  It allows it, but it's not a requirement.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 09:53:50 am »
Batch sparging requires a much finer crush than continuous sparging.

No, it doesn't require it.  It allows it, but it's not a requirement.

I guess that I should have qualified that statement. A finer crush is needed to achieve a comparable extraction rate.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 10:01:51 am »
I guess that I should have qualified that statement. A finer crush is needed to achieve a comparable extraction rate.

Not in my experience.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:56:35 am »
What is the roller spacing on your mill?  What is your average extraction rate in points per pound per gallon (use final kettle liquid volume minus the break and hops for the calculation)? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 11:58:00 am »
What is the roller spacing on your mill?  What is your average extraction rate in points per pound per gallon (use final kettle liquid volume minus the break and hops for the calculation)?

I have no idea of the roller spacing.  I'm making grist, not gaps, so I set it to get a good crush.  I can't recall the last time I figured my ppg.  I'll do it when I brew next and let ya know.  Well, maybe not the next time, since I've got to brew 8 kits for Brewcraft next week.  But after that...:)

www.dennybrew.com