Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cheap kettle turned wort black?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Cheap kettle turned wort black?
« on: August 04, 2014, 08:18:45 pm »
Tonight I bought a cheap little 8qt stainless steel pot at walmart. I wanted a pot to do starters in. When I say cheap I mean, like $7 so very cheaply made I'm sure. It did say it was SS but surely a lesser grade. Anyway, I was making a 1 L starter with extra light DME. I used my typical 3.55 oz DME, 2 drops of fermcap S and a pinch of wyeast nutrient. I first washed the pot thoroughly then preboiled about a gallon of water in the pot and discarded this water. Then I added 1200ml of new RO water and mixed in my 3 components. After a 10 minute boil, my wort was cloudy and black/gray... like nothing I've ever seen before. I tossed it and redid the starter in a Teflon pot from the Kitchen and this did fine. Has anyone ever experienced this from a new cheap pot?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:20:25 pm by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Cheap kettle turned wort black?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:34:39 pm »
I did have an issue with 2 of the same Polar Ware 10 gallon pots. Upon the initial cleaning of both pots a TON of black/grey stuff came off of the pot. It took a while to get it all off and the company seemed surprised when I called about it.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:46:37 pm »
Did it say anything about the SS on the packaging? Or what is the brand? We have a SS Wallmart pot that was from the wife's parents kitchen when we closed out the house. It had been used, but was fine. Looking up the brand I found it was 304, which is good for what we do.

If it was new you could have been getting some manufacturing oils off.

Boiling to season should not be required for SS. I would give a new pot a wash with hot soapy water to remove any oils.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »
Did it say anything about the SS on the packaging? Or what is the brand? We have a SS Wallmart pot that was from the wife's parents kitchen when we closed out the house. It had been used, but was fine. Looking up the brand I found it was 304, which is good for what we do.

If it was new you could have been getting some manufacturing oils off.

Boiling to season should not be required for SS. I would give a new pot a wash with hot soapy water to remove any oils.
I think it's walmarts house brand. It's a "Mainstays". Doesn't really say the type of steel used and a search didn't yield much info. I did give it a good wash with a free & clear dish detergent, I may not have scrubbed enough. One difference between the first and second starter worts... I used 2 drops of fermcap S in the first but not in the second. I wonder if maybe my fermcap has gone south? Perhapsa 1-2 hour soak in PBW can clean up any residuals...
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:08:14 pm »
Green scrubby and some bar keepers friend is the first thing that touches a new pot for me. Doubt it was the fermcap. Pretty odd situation.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 04:58:24 am »
Maybe the steel is too thin and you scorched your extract.  Otherwise this should not be happening obviously.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 07:16:42 am »
Maybe the steel is too thin and you scorched your extract.  Otherwise this should not be happening obviously.
Didn't think about this. Quite possible, the pot is very thin. 
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:15:26 pm »
I've never seen wort so scorched that it turned grey. That sounds more like the finish was coming off or manufacturing oils. I would return the product as defective.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:53:54 pm »
I got a small 2g kettle from midwest supplies on clearance for doing starters, its awesome.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/small-batch-stainless-steel-brew-kettle-1-7-gallon.html