Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry hoping process  (Read 5304 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: dry hoping process
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 09:05:59 am »
This brings up another debate as to whether you should dry hop cold or warm. I prefer dry hopping "warm" (60-70 degrees) others prefer dry hopping cold.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:07 am »
This brings up another debate as to whether you should dry hop cold or warm. I prefer dry hopping "warm" (60-70 degrees) others prefer dry hopping cold.

+1.  I cold crash clear, then warm up to room temp, then dry hop in keg.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 09:38:09 am »

I dry hop at room temp in the fermenters, cold in the kegs.  Doesn't seem to make much difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 09:49:53 am »
I asked the Research Brewer at Haas here in Yakima recently at what temperature he thought dry hopping should be done.  His response: " Cool will give less grassy notes. I prefer the cleaner flavor personally."

I asked the follow up question regarding his definition of cool, but I don't remember his response and I no longer have that email.

I still have questions though.  I have only gotten a grassy note on one beer that I have brewed, so it is not a major issue with me.  On the other side of the equation, I wonder at the optimum temperature for solubilizing hop oils into beer.  I know that there are many different 'oils' in hops that have different boiling temperatures, so I'm wondering how that applies to dry hopping.

Hmm.  A good question for Stan in "Ask the Experts."  I'm going to copy and paste this over there.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 09:52:29 am »
I see that dkfick already asked the question.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 10:01:55 am »
Yeah I know what I do (crash/clear, remove yeast, and then dry hop at fermentation temps.)  But curious what Stan might have found out along the way ;-)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 10:25:11 am »
would you recommend cold crashing, then dry hoping (in order to clarify the beer)? Also, what is the typical duration to leave the hops in? I have read anywhere from 3-4 days, up to a week. Thx

Yes...I like to cold crash to drop out residual yeast. I then dry hop in the keg for at least 10-14 days at cellar temp.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 11:07:15 am »
Yeah I know what I do (crash/clear, remove yeast, and then dry hop at fermentation temps.)  But curious what Stan might have found out along the way ;-)

No offense to either you or Stan, but why does that matter?  Why not try it both ways and decide for yourself?  That's really all that matters.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 11:19:10 am »

No offense to either you or Stan, but why does that matter?  Why not try it both ways and decide for yourself?  That's really all that matters.
I have but I'm not so closed minded to just discount other's experiences.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 11:31:56 am »
I think that is Denny's mission. Reminding folks that their own experience is all that matters. But you are ok too, checking others experiences. Group hug.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 11:44:26 am »
I think that is Denny's mission. Reminding folks that their own experience is all that matters. But you are ok too, checking others experiences. Group hug.
haha yeah I didn't intend it to be so 'snappy'.  I just feel it's a bit of a cop out to post 'do it yourself and figure out which way works best' on a forum.  I mean a discussion forum is a place where things can be... discussed... Is it not?
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 12:03:01 pm »
Yes it is.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 01:30:39 pm »
That, and when I am brewing to drink the beer I want to maximize the possibility that it will be excellent.  One of the easiest ways to do this is learning from the experiences of people like Stan and Denny (et. al.).  I love to experiment, but sometimes experimentation is at odds with the goal of the next batch being the best.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 02:41:14 pm »
I have but I'm not so closed minded to just discount other's experiences.

Excellent!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 02:42:33 pm »
haha yeah I didn't intend it to be so 'snappy'.  I just feel it's a bit of a cop out to post 'do it yourself and figure out which way works best' on a forum.  I mean a discussion forum is a place where things can be... discussed... Is it not?

Absolutely, and I hope I didn't appear to be shutting down discussion.  It's always valuable to know what others are doing.  But after I find that out and try it both ways, I know what I want to do for myself.

www.dennybrew.com