Author Topic: Brown Malt  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
Brown Malt
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »
Planning to brew the Old Rasputin recipe from July/August 2007 Zymurgy.

It calls for 0.5lb Brown Malt.  I've never used brown malt that I can recall and the LHBS does not list it on their website.

I understand brown malt can impart roast flavors.

What could/should I sub?

It's a relatively small amount of grain in a strong dark beer, so I'm assuming there's a lot of latitude.  But not knowing what brown malt brings to the party I'm not sure.

Yeast will be a neutral ale yeast, probably US-05.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Malt
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »
I think it's sort of like a mix of chocolate, biscuit, and with a slight roasted barley aspect. It's great in a porter. I would actually use brown if you can find it. If not, a combination of the three.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »
I can order it from NB or somewhere and have time to get it.  Just not available on the way home.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
I have ordered it from Northern Brewer before and used it in a Nut Brown. The flavor is pretty assertive and I felt it threw my Brown a little off balance, due to it's overt nuttiness and production of a dry/slightly roast flavor. I think it would be perfect in a stout. I say go for it!
Tap: Doppelbock, American Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Kettle Soured Berliner Weisse, Black Saison, Scottish 80/-, Wild Cider, Tart Cherry Porter, RyePA
Secondary: Flanders Red, Lambic, Flemish Barrel Sour, Dark Strong Sour
Primary:

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »
I can order it from NB or somewhere and have time to get it.  Just not available on the way home.
It seems like I've bought it at Brew & Grow before, but don't know if they're convenient to you. I used it in a Fuller's porter clone and it has a really nice roastiness that's different than you get from roasted barley.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
It seems like I've bought it at Brew & Grow before, but don't know if they're convenient to you. I used it in a Fuller's porter clone and it has a really nice roastiness that's different than you get from roasted barley.

They're not, really.  Used to be.  Drove past them on Mother's Day, and they were open.

Wife and MIL did not think I should stop and run in.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 09:40:15 AM »

They're not, really.  Used to be.  Drove past them on Mother's Day, and they were open.

Wife and MIL did not think I should stop and run in.
Spoilsports. What says Mother's Day more than a trip to the LHBS ;)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 09:47:17 AM »
I'd say get the brown malt.  It's a mainstay in my BVIP and I've never found an adequate sub.  Be aware that what some maltsters call brown malt others call amber.  What you want is the 70L stuff, not the 35L.  Here's some info from a froens who was looking for brown malt...

Thought I'd give you a heads up on something.  A while back I was asking about Baird brown malt, and whether it was really brown and not amber since the sack indicated both "brown" and "amber" (55-70L).  Weird.  The folks at Baird told me that it could be either brown or amber  depending on what the customer wanted it to be, that the two malts are interchangeable.  B.S!  Anyway, I purchased some Crisp amber malt (35L) from Greg Beron at Culver City Homebrew in So. Cal., and it is visibly identical to Baird.  Furthermore, I just received some Thomas Fawcett brown malt from North Country Malt and it is easily, visibly darker then the Baird.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
Thanks.  I'll place an order today.

I have a few other miscellaneous things to get anyway.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »
Never heard that about the amber malt, Denny. I'll be sure to get the 70L from here on out. Thanks for the info !
Jon H.

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 11:48:01 AM »
I used brown malt in a brown porter and had a definite smoke flavor in the beer. I've also had a special porter from Founders that had a similar smokiness. I'm a little leery of brown malt at this point.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »
Well, I've order a pound of Crisp Brown Malt.  I'll brew per the recipe and let you know what I think.

Old Rasputin is a favorite, so if I can come close it will be dangerous.  And then I'll need to oak age it...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 12:33:13 PM »
I used brown malt in a brown porter and had a definite smoke flavor in the beer. I've also had a special porter from Founders that had a similar smokiness. I'm a little leery of brown malt at this point.

In all the times I've made the BVIP with brown malt, I've never gotten any hint of smoke.  Do you recall what maltster yours was from?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »
According to my LHBS' website, it was Crisp Brown Malt.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
Old Rasputin is a favorite, so if I can come close it will be dangerous.  And then I'll need to oak age it...

Me too! Is there a link to that recipe you're using? I brewed a dry stout with WLP004 and after aging for a year, I got a flavor reminiscent of Old Rasputin from the yeast. I cannot explain it, but I have a feeling they may use WLP004 in Old Ras
Tap: Doppelbock, American Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Kettle Soured Berliner Weisse, Black Saison, Scottish 80/-, Wild Cider, Tart Cherry Porter, RyePA
Secondary: Flanders Red, Lambic, Flemish Barrel Sour, Dark Strong Sour
Primary: