Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pin lock to ball lock conversion  (Read 9046 times)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Pin lock to ball lock conversion
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 01:02:26 pm »
Now that I have these, I think I actually kind of like the pin lock connection better.

Perhaps a dumb question, but do I need to buy a goofy slotted deep well socket to remove the posts?
No I just use a crescent wrench... it's kind of a pain though... or you could get a regular socket and put it to fit... I just deal with the wrench.. It only adds like 2 minutes onto the take apart procedure lol.

EDIT: I should say the only bad thing about the crescent wrench is you have to be careful and avoid the posts so you don't bend them.  It's what makes it slightly time consuming... avoiding the posts while avoiding the keg handles as well...

Yea.  I was thinking I should see if I have a deep well and just cut it with a dremel.  Or maybe buy one pre-cut.

I'm thinking about getting more of these 3-gallon jobs.  Love the size.
I agree I really like those 3 gallon pin lock kegs Adventures has right now.  I have a couple myself... Though I think I'm good at 2 because I don't often brew small batches... occasionally I do brew an 8 gallon batch though which I use one of these for the 'overflow'
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 01:07:58 pm »
I agree I really like those 3 gallon pin lock kegs Adventures has right now.  I have a couple myself... Though I think I'm good at 2 because I don't often brew small batches... occasionally I do brew an 8 gallon batch though which I use one of these for the 'overflow'

I've been splitting batches and playing around with oak, bourbon, dry hops, whatever.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:01 pm »
I have keep up with the Joe nses disorder. Now I'm going to have to convert all my ball locks to pins?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 07:37:27 am »
Skip the pins and go straight to the firkins. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton