Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pils Malt for Kolsch. recommendations please  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Pils Malt for Kolsch. recommendations please
« on: July 01, 2014, 12:48:34 pm »
A Buddy and I will be brewing a Kolsch soon and im looking for a recommendation for the Pils Malt.  Available to me are the following Options.

Weyermann Pils
Weyermann Bohemian Pils
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian
Rahr Pils
Avangard Pils
Chateau Pils
Dingmans Pils

IF anyone has any thoughts or preferences that would be great.
Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pils Malt for Kolsch. recommendations please
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:43:04 pm »
I vote Weyermann Pilsner malt.  It has a clean German character and dries out nicely.  Perfect for a kolsch (I just so happen to be drinking one right now made with that malt). 

Offline bbesser

• Cellarman
  • Engineer to brewer, then back to engineer..for now
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:16:37 pm »
The Weyerman Pils is a good choice.  I will also throw in a vote for the Avengard Pils.  I have not used it to make a Kolsch, but have been happy with the results I got when using it for a German Wheat and Bohemian Pils.
"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has lost the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 03:42:42 pm »
+1 to Weyermann, it's excellent in Kolsch. I haven't used Avangard in Kolsch, but just used it in a German Pils and liked it very much. You'd make a great beer with either IMO.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:43:37 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 05:31:52 pm »
If you are selecting these from options at your local homebrew shop, then go ahead and chew a couple grains of each and decide which one tastes the best to you.  If not... I guess I'm not much help.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:01:59 pm »
If you are selecting these from options at your local homebrew shop, then go ahead and chew a couple grains of each and decide which one tastes the best to you.  If not... I guess I'm not much help.  :)

I work at said homebrew shop, Sadly we dont stock a few of them, but since id need most of a sack i can have it special ordered.  I have chewed most of them at one point or another, but since i have never made a kolsch i cant relate them to how the finished beer would taste.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:08:02 pm »
Anyone tried this malt?

http://bsghandcraft.com/index.php/whole-and-crushed-grains/global/25-kg-bags/schill-cologne-kolsch-25kg-bag.html

My current koelsh is all cologne malt. I quite like it! Kind of like Vienna and Munich mix taste to me.
Kyle M.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 07:21:08 pm »
We where gonna do like 93% pils malt and 7% vienna, Now we are playing with 75% pils 25% cologne Malt.  I had thought maybe 100% cologne malt but it would be kinda darker then the guidelines suggest.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 08:10:54 pm »
We where gonna do like 93% pils malt and 7% vienna, Now we are playing with 75% pils 25% cologne Malt.  I had thought maybe 100% cologne malt but it would be kinda darker then the guidelines suggest.

Yeah, the cologne malt definitely makes a darker beer. I would love to do a side by side with one similar to the first brew you describe. I'm not sure if the cologne malt is worth the premium.
Kyle M.

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 08:57:16 pm »
I think it kind of depends on what sort of Kolsch you're going for… I think a fair number of them have that nice Pils grainy-ness but another fair number of them have a really soft maltiness. Depending on how you're brewing it, you may need to manipulate the ingredients/process to get one of those things.

It wasn't included on your list but I really like Best Malz Heidelberg malt for lighter lager-ish beers.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:08 pm »
Weyermann is a great choice. I think the Castle would be a nice option as well. I've never done a side-by-side, but the Castle seems to have a bit less of that grainy note I get from Best and Weyermann. All depends on what you're going for, really. They'd certainly all be appropriate for a Kölsch, so brew to your palate - go with whichever one you like the best.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 05:06:14 pm »
Weyernmann Pils is a fine choice. Clean and simple. Castle pils is good malt but it is little bit fuller. Nice if you want quite malty beers. Did you consider some wheat malt in it? Up to 10%.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 05:17:59 pm »
Weyernmann Pils is a fine choice. Clean and simple. Castle pils is good malt but it is little bit fuller. Nice if you want quite malty beers. Did you consider some wheat malt in it? Up to 10%.

We did Leos, but we wanted to start simple and see how it develops.  Wheat will probably be added in the future to smooth those rough edges:)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 07:27:39 pm »

We did Leos, but we wanted to start simple and see how it develops.  Wheat will probably be added in the future to smooth those rough edges:)
Sounds like a plan.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com