General Category > Ingredients

Springtime Ingredients

(1/3) > >>

pete b:
I like to use seasonal ingredients. Especially if they grow on my land. I always make a nettle beer in the spring (they are almost ready) and my girlfriend and I make dandelion mead every year that we can get the timing right. (it requires quickly picking the blossoms on a sunny day and immediately ripping off just the petals into hot water to steep. It rains a lot this time a year so it often requires taking a day off on short notice if the weekend isn't sunny. They need to be at peak blossoming to pick a lot fast).
I've been thinking of making a saisson soon and we have rhubarb about ready to pick and I have some rye malt so I was thinking Rhubarb Rye saisson. The combination of sour and spicy could work but I'm a bit concerned about the quality of rhubarb's sourness: its pretty tart, which I believe is from malic acid. I thought maybe cooking it and/or making a syrup out of it first would give me a little more control. Any thoughts on this flavor combo?

Steve in TX:
I've seen other saison recipes with rhubarb. Give it a quick google search and I am sure you will find loads of winners and losers.

morticaixavier:
sounds intriguing. I love me some rhubarb. saison can stand up to some serious sourness in my opinion. I suppose if you wanted to get crazy you could pitch some malolactic bacteria in secondary to soften some of the malic. maybe with some nelson hops to accentuate the white wine theme or some pacific jade to try to get that subtle blackberry thing. That seems like it would go well with rhubarb. kind of making be drool at this point.

HoosierBrew:

--- Quote from: Steve in TX on May 14, 2014, 09:02:51 AM ---I've seen other saison recipes with rhubarb. Give it a quick google search and I am sure you will find loads of winners and losers.

--- End quote ---

I like that idea.  Hmmmm....

pete b:

--- Quote from: HoosierBrew on May 14, 2014, 10:16:47 AM ---
--- Quote from: Steve in TX on May 14, 2014, 09:02:51 AM ---I've seen other saison recipes with rhubarb. Give it a quick google search and I am sure you will find loads of winners and losers.

--- End quote ---

I like that idea.  Hmmmm....

--- End quote ---
Do yo like the idea of this beer or googling?  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version