Author Topic: Turning Scottish?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Turning Scottish?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 04:25:30 AM »
All you need is a good bottle of single malt and you're there !
Buying a bottle of Laphroig actually gets you a square foot of property on Islay.

Or Lagavulin and they throw in a set of bagpipes.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »
Buy a kilt. they are the single most comfortably piece of clothing a man can own that is generally accepted by 'mainstream' society.

Sweat pants, Mort.  Though I guess that's climate dependent.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 09:30:31 AM »
Buy a kilt. they are the single most comfortably piece of clothing a man can own that is generally accepted by 'mainstream' society.

yeah, 110*f and sweat pants, you find out why they are called SWEAT pants.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:34 AM »

yeah, 110*f and sweat pants, you find out why they are called SWEAT pants.

I bought some sweat pant shorts a few years ago.  Awful concept.  I might still have them.  They are actually heavier material than most of my sweat pants.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »

I bought some sweat pant shorts a few years ago.  Awful concept.  I might still have them.  They are actually heavier material than most of my sweat pants.

Yeah, I've got some too and barely ever wore them. Dumb concept - extra warm shorts.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »

Yeah, I've got some too and barely ever wore them. Dumb concept - extra warm shorts.

They looked insanely comfortable, though.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 09:53:12 AM »

Exactly. But you know how it is in the Midwest - it's either cold enough that you need FULL length sweat pants, or warm/hot enough you want to wear something cool. Oh well, I've bought dumb things that cost more than that !
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:56:16 AM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
5 gal

6lbs Golden Promise
6lbs Munich 10L
2 oz carafa II special
Malt fwd water profile
Mash at 154-156º

Reduce first gallon of first runnings to a quart

28gm EKG at 60
28gm EKG at 15

Wy1728 at 60º

By the way Steve, my next brew days is this batch. Im doing a second batch just like it but subbing in 6 lbs UK Brown malt for the Munich and Carafa. Just to do a side by side and perhaps keep it all UK.

I guess to keep the color right and not make it too nutty my UK version would be 9lbs GP and 2 lbs Brown.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 10:33:13 AM »
Thanks Jim.  I'm definitely going to revisit a Scottish Ale soon.  I brewed one late last year mainly because I have Scottish roots, but I really enjoyed brewing it, and people said they really liked it.  I like to have two beers on tap - an IPA and a good bridge-beer for the BMC / Blue Moon / Shock Top drinkers in my life.  So this style will be in my regular rotation.  Now I'm on to nailing the exact recipe and process (which is why I asked for you recipe).

We are identical in most aspects of the recipe (including the wort reduction process) with the exception of part of the grain bill.  Please give me your thoughts on what I had planned for the next iteration:

9.5 Lbs. Golden Promise
2 oz. Roasted Barley (300 SRM)

Malts are the area of brewing that I am least knowledgeable in.  I don't know what I am trading in terms of flavor going this route as opposed to yours.  (Hurry up Malt book!)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:39:52 AM by yso191 »
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 08:16:48 AM »
I think that would be fine, the 300L might bring that smokey thing to mind for some people.

I have a couple theories on Scottish smokiness.  One is that somebody got a hold of a Scottish made in France, where they believed they should have scotch peat malt in it. Another is that its hard to kill a rumor, so now there are thoughts that kettle carmelizing causes it, or 1728 has a smoke phenolmenon. I think its actually the power of suggestion crossed with other near-smoke-like flavors. Case in point, Zainashefs award winner, non-kettle-carmelizing 70/- has no smoke malt, and he used chico yeast. The Scottish smokiness must have come from imagining munich crystal and pale chocolate as smoky. That or the judges understood its not necessary

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
FWIW, I've always heard smokiness discussed in relation to wee heavies, but not the lower gravity Scottish ales.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »
I just like the new word, "phenolmenon."
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
I just like the new word, "phenolmenon."

Yep, it's a doozy!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 06:11:06 AM »

Exactly. But you know how it is in the Midwest - it's either cold enough that you need FULL length sweat pants, or warm/hot enough you want to wear something cool. Oh well, I've bought dumb things that cost more than that !

I almost pulled the trigger on the Duluth Trading cargo sweats. Then I came to my senses.

Jim I'll be waiting for the "haggis" thread on Everything Food.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »
My people for sure!