Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour program audit  (Read 1487 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Sour program audit
« on: May 14, 2014, 03:19:31 pm »
I finally got around to tasting my sour beer projects.

20 liter rum barrel, <1 year old basic farmhouse ale fermented with dregs from Almanac Farmers Reserve: This is a really mild sour beer for how long it's been ageing. not oxidized or overly sour so I guess the bees wax seal on the barrel is helping. Doesn't blow my socks off but a really nice complex but subtle beer. easy drinking and you'd never know it's been through a years ageing in a barrel, really subtle wood character.

2.5 gallon batch fermented with a sourdough starter originally from a mail order Italian culture kept for a couple years in Napa before I got it, stepped it up in wort and fermented this batch with: I've noticed this in another 'sourdough' beer I've taste, from Almanac actually, a harshness that was not there in the wort. this was a very low bitterness wort brewed to 1.051 with ~6 IBU of old saaz. A touch of sourness but mostly that slightly harsh edge. Not bad, maybe a good candidate for blending though.

3 gallons of sour farmhouse with cherries that wasn't bottled last fall. Simple farmhouse ale recipe with flaked rye fermented with a yeast blend of belgian ale, belgian blend, and american farmhouse blend then pitched with dregs from various sour beers in secondary and sweet cherries added: This is still my favorite of my sour beers good cherry flavor without being in your face cherry. a hint of acetic character but in a balanced way with the barnyardy funk. I think I'll just add 3 more gallons of beer to this one and let it ride a while longer. maybe some more cherries too.

3.5 gallons of IPA wort I overbrewed on my last batch (~2 weeks ago) and pitched with the year old cake of Almanac dregs from Sour #1 above: this is promising. sourness and funk are still pretty subtle but I suspect it will develop over time. I might try blending some of this with some of what's in the barrel.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Sour program audit
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »
That sour farmhouse with cherries sounds really, really good. And I'm curious to hear how the IPA with bugs turns out.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:38:21 pm »
That sour farmhouse with cherries sounds really, really good. And I'm curious to hear how the IPA with bugs turns out.

+1 on both accounts. I'd be afraid that the bitterness of the IPA would clash with the acidity, but fruity hops would be really nice in the flavor/aroma department.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:44:36 pm »

+1 on both accounts. I'd be afraid that the bitterness of the IPA would clash with the acidity, but fruity hops would be really nice in the flavor/aroma department.

The bitterness was my curiosity too. But the right fruity hops would seem to be a compliment ( Amarillo, Nelson, Citra, El Dorado, Caliente, etc.) to flavor.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 05:33:58 pm »
Sounds great! Let me know when I can expect by bottle. ;)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 07:49:56 pm »

The bitterness was my curiosity too. But the right fruity hops would seem to be a compliment ( Amarillo, Nelson, Citra, El Dorado, Caliente, etc.) to flavor.

the beer isn't super bitter. I tend to be restrained on the bitterness and dump lot's of late, steep, and dry hops at IPAs. Mostly because my wife doesn't care for over the top bitter beers and I don't mind super hop flavor/aroma forward IPA.

it's down to 1.004ish so the bugs are doing their thing. the other portion that was pitched with us-05 ended around 1.011.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce