Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First wine try  (Read 2597 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
First wine try
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:42:04 pm »
A friend has guaranteed me 3 5 gallon buckets of Muscat Blanc grapes this fall. So, anyone have a simple easy to follow wine steps that a brewer could follow? Special ingredients needed? How critical is fermentation temp, and for how long if it is?

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
Re: First wine try
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:22:05 pm »
Crush grapes. Add yeast. Wait. Drink

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:31:07 am »
My understanding was always that white wines ferment colder, with red wines fermenting @ room temp. I don't know target temps though.
Jon H.

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:58:52 am »
You'll probably need campden tablets (potassium metabisulfite, I think) to add to the grape must before adding the yeast in order to kill off any wild yeasts/bacteria. Not sure why that's preferred over low temperature pasteurization, maybe to preserve volatile aromatics.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:06:59 am »
When I got started in wine, I read through MoreWine's manual section. http://morewinemaking.com/content/winemanuals

With Muscat Blanc, this will be of interest to you: http://www.morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wwhiw.pdf
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:15:23 am »
Good stuff Amanda thanks. And everyone else for chiming it. I've got lots of time to study up.

How much krausen(?) is there? Can I do 5 gallons in a 6 gallon bucket or would it crawl out?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 08:47:33 am »
If all the skins etc is in there then yes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 08:58:53 am »
In a white wine, you would separate the skins from the juice and only ferment the juice. If you were closer, I would lend you my crusher/strainer!  8)

The 'krausen' isn't very exciting in most cases. Obviously, that depends on the yeast. I do primaries in the obligatory 7.9 gallon bucket and only get about 3/4" of krausen in it. Surface activity in the secondary is almost nil.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline wedwards

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 04:01:58 pm »
Do you have a press? If not, this will not end well, as you need to be able to get the juice out of the grapes whether you do it before fermentation (white wine) or after fermentation (red wine). There is a book called how to make wine - it has a wooden press on the cover, and it explains all the technical stuff in easy to understand language. I would get a copy and read a few times, as it turned my wine from just drinkable into something awesome

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »
All good info. I'll dig into it more.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 02:11:41 pm »
Muscat makes a great addition to lambic  ;D
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 04:31:18 pm »
I'd love to use some Muscat in a saison. I've tried a homebrewed saison with some Muscat once, and it was fantastic. A little more of the tartness I already like in saison. I'd like to try ~ 30% Muscat juice ,finished (and dry hopped) with Nelson to enhance the grape thing even more. It's on my to do list.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 07:09:24 am »
I'd love to use some Muscat in a saison. I've tried a homebrewed saison with some Muscat once, and it was fantastic. A little more of the tartness I already like in saison. I'd like to try ~ 30% Muscat juice ,finished (and dry hopped) with Nelson to enhance the grape thing even more. It's on my to do list.

I've actually been kicking around a similar idea myself for a while - using white wine must in a Saison with a fair amount of Nelson. I was planning on buying a wine kit, using part in a Saison, part in a Pyment and the rest on its own to compare/contrast. Thinking either Sauvignon Blanc, Gewürztaminer or Riesling.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 07:46:29 am »

I've actually been kicking around a similar idea myself for a while - using white wine must in a Saison with a fair amount of Nelson. I was planning on buying a wine kit, using part in a Saison, part in a Pyment and the rest on its own to compare/contrast. Thinking either Sauvignon Blanc, Gewürztaminer or Riesling.

Sounds great.  And I've heard that the DFH Red and White is actually pretty good too. It's a big Wit brewed with pinot noir juice IIRC.  I think I need to do that saison soon.
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 01:12:55 pm »
Red Wines and white wines are pretty different animals.  White wine is pretty straightforward compared to Red wine.

Things you will need
Wine acidity test kit
Potassium Metabisulfate(preservative, Usually protects against oxidization and inhibits yeast for short period)
Sodium Metabisulfate(sterilizing agent when transferring and racking.  )
Potassium Sorbate(Aggressive preservative that inhibits yeast for long term)
Wine Degasser

Lalvin makes a few different types of yeast for white wines, do your research and pick one.  Also decide on if you want to backsweeten or not depending on how dry the yeast will get your wine.  Muscat tends to be backsweetened and some yeast strains supposedly help with that, but i dont buy it considering fructose tends to be 100% fermentable.

Good luck!
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!