Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US 05?  (Read 13805 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
US 05?
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:17:06 pm »
I am planning on a clone of a local brew this weekend(or at least my first attempt at it.) The brewery calls for American Ale yeast so I would normally choose WLP001, but I dont have time for a starter (due to late start/poor planning) so I want to go with a re-hydrated dry yeast. The OG is expected to be 1.100 for 3.5 gallons of a double hazelnut brown. What are your suggestions for yeast choice in dry and how many packs? Any ideas are welcome and helpful.
Edit: Mr Malty calls for 1.1 dry packs and Beersmith says 2. Both sites say I need about 234B cells, and Beersmith shows 178B with 2 packs of dry US05 just a couple weeks old, which is significantly less than the necessary 234B. A follow up question in regards to dry yeast viability: what is the expected viability, and are the packs actually dated?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:23:49 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: US 05?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:25 pm »
I am planning on a clone of a local brew this weekend(or at least my first attempt at it.) The brewery calls for American Ale yeast so I would normally choose WLP001, but I dont have time for a starter (due to late start/poor planning) so I want to go with a re-hydrated dry yeast. The OG is expected to be 1.100 for 3.5 gallons of a double hazelnut brown. What are your suggestions for yeast choice in dry and how many packs? Any ideas are welcome and helpful.
I would pitch 2 packs of yeast and not worry about it.  With a batch size of 3.5 gallons it's an overpitch but I would err on the side of the overpitch vs an underpitch.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:24:57 pm »
I would pitch 2 packs of yeast and not worry about it.  With a batch size of 3.5 gallons it's an overpitch but I would err on the side of the overpitch vs an underpitch.
Is US05 the right choice though, as I have not yet purchased my yeast?
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:37 pm »
To my knowledge, yes.  You can use US-05 (I think they now call it S-05), 1056 and 001 interchangeably.

There are subtle differences, but they all came from the same source.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:51 pm »
Is US05 the right choice though, as I have not yet purchased my yeast?
Since you don't have time for a starter, yes...US-05 is the right yeast if it is asking for American Ale yeast.  I always have a copy packets of that handy in the fridge.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 12:37:10 pm »
US-05 is fine.

I think beersmith might be talking about 5 gram packets rather than 11.5 gram packets. 1 should be plenty you could use 1.5 I don't know that I'd use 2 though. I find that too high a pitch rate can cause as many problems, and similar ones, to underpitching. Undesirable off flavors/esters and poor attenuation.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:38:23 pm »
I always have a copy packets of that handy in the fridge.

Me, too.  Grabbed a couple fresh packs for some brewing I have planned this weekend and realized I already have four packs in the fridge.  And a starter of 1056 going.

One batch will get the 1056, one the 05.  I'll see if I can taste a difference.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bbesser

• Cellarman
  • Engineer to brewer, then back to engineer..for now
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »
US-05 seems like the right choice, but a starting gravity of 1.100 is pretty high.  Anyone know what the alcohol tolerance is for US-05?  I know the 1056 is stated as 11% which is right around the 1.100 target gravity, and since they are similar strains, I would assume they have similar tolerance, but dont know for sure.
"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has lost the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »

+1
Jon H.

Offline josephbauer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:13:02 pm »
I would rehydrate the yeast using and use Go-Ferm (http://www.homebrewing.org/Go-Ferm-Half-pound_p_1544.html).
God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as dearly as he loves vegetation. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 01:17:05 pm »
I would rehydrate the yeast using and use Go-Ferm (http://www.homebrewing.org/Go-Ferm-Half-pound_p_1544.html).
This is my standard practice as well when using dry yeast.  Rather it be for mead, beer, or whatever. 
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 02:06:15 pm »
US-05 seems like the right choice, but a starting gravity of 1.100 is pretty high.  Anyone know what the alcohol tolerance is for US-05?  I know the 1056 is stated as 11% which is right around the 1.100 target gravity, and since they are similar strains, I would assume they have similar tolerance, but dont know for sure.

I've used US05 up to 12% ABV.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »
Fun Fact.  Safale says their US-05 has 7B cells per gram of yeast, so a packet should have about 70b cells.  Other well respected authorities on yeast say that an 11.5G package of US-05 have 200B cells.

Beersmith is quoting the safale info
Mrmalty uses Jamil Z's info

Which is right?  I had this discussion with a customer a few days ago, i trust Jamil Z over some unknown frenchman.  Where do you guys weigh in?

Safale factoid Page for us-05http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf
Jamil Z's info (cant find the reference atm, but MRmalty suggests 1G of dry yeast has about 18B cells in it)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline 69franx

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 07:05:52 pm »
And beersmith says the sachets start at 100B cells less degradation. The packs have a best by date, is that 2 years out from packaging, does anyone know? If so, I just bought 2 packs tonight that are 6 months old. I don't want to see what that looks like in beersmith

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 07:53:00 pm »

I've used US05 up to 12% ABV.

+1...no worries, it can handle high gravity brews  just fine.   
I've even repitched the slurry into subsequent brews and never had any flavor or performance issues.
Dry yeast has sure come a LONG way quality wise.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971