Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Tasting Exam: Why are style guidelines not provided?  (Read 5955 times)

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: BJCP Tasting Exam: Why are style guidelines not provided?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 02:46:53 pm »
I did pretty much decide to just skip it as it would be the only reason for me to drive there a day early and pay for an extra day at the hotel...I would also miss my carpool... so maybe for the best... I'll just retake it in 2015 if needed (hopefully not)

Written should be easier to get a spot for in the future with the quarterly exams.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you though, that would be the only reason to go over on tuesday and I'd have to deal with a ride

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 03:03:50 pm »
I did pretty much decide to just skip it as it would be the only reason for me to drive there a day early and pay for an extra day at the hotel...I would also miss my carpool... so maybe for the best... I'll just retake it in 2015 if needed (hopefully not)

Written should be easier to get a spot for in the future with the quarterly exams.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you though, that would be the only reason to go over on tuesday and I'd have to deal with a ride
Yeah getting a spot was kind of my issue the first time I took it... I was the only person that took the exam.  Normally the exam shouldn't be given if less than 3 people take it.  The other 2 were no-shows on the day of the exam.  Because my exam is abnormal I have to wait for it to be tacked onto another exam to be graded as I understand it... so this results in my exam not even started being graded 5 months after I took it...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 08:43:01 pm »
We've had a lot of problems getting folks to follow through and actually take the written exams.
I administered one a couple months ago where the examinees list slowly whittled itself all the way down from 14 a few months before to 3 on exam day.

That exam set had to be combined with another set the same way yours did.

Part of the problem is the length of time we have to schedule ahead of time.
Folks think they will be available for study and to take the exam, but things happen, work gets in the way, etc, and before you know it, nearly everyone who said they were going to take the exam reports back saying they can't take it.

Another problem is that you need "critical mass" to hold an exam prep class.  Its a big commitment to attend as well as to teach.  The number of written-qualified examinees is far smaller than the pool of folks who want to take it for the first time, so even in my region (Seattle area) where there is a relatively high number of qualified people, folks still don't go to the classes because its simply too far to drive to get there on time week after week.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 02:05:45 pm »
A bit off topic- but to all those interested in becoming a judge: don't let anything stop you from pursuing it.  It's a great opportunity to understand beer and brewing more and serve the homebrewing community by judging.  I have to say the feedback I get from certified judges in competitions has always been more thorough and helpful than that from pro brewers who are invited to judge.  Not because the pros are any less able to taste and judge, but because they aren't trained in properly filling out a judging sheet.