Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: March pump & kettle valve  (Read 3331 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
March pump & kettle valve
« on: April 09, 2010, 12:30:06 pm »
Woohoo my new pump and weldless valve will arrive in a few minutes...!

Ordered the March 809 off of Austin Homebrew Supply and their weldless kettle valve.

Wondering how far the valve should be from the bottom. I'll have to put together a pick-up tube as well. Advice folks?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: March pump & kettle valve
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:43:02 pm »
This . . .

Just brew it...

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:31:12 pm »
Oh! Me likey.

That's an elegant solution.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:07:13 pm »
The new pump is impressive. The craftsmanship appears top-notch. Says "Assembled in Mexico" so that's refreshing, at least.

I'm thinking of mounting it to a board to protect the thing- especially the housing. If that pump were to land on the housing it looks like it'd crack for sure.

The weldless kettle valve is from Brewer's edge. Will it work? Will see...

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 06:24:06 am »
The Brewer's Edge valve should work famously. A lot of companies are finally starting to supply the grooved locknut so that the O-ring stays put without squishing out . . that's good. Also, with the female threads on the inside of the thru-wall nipple, you can easily attach a male copper fitting to construct a pickup manifold like mine . .or whatever other fitting you prefer. 
Just brew it...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:33:53 am »
I'm thinking of mounting it to a board to protect the thing- especially the housing.

I've got mine mounted to a board now, but I'm gonna do something like this.....

http://www.byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/20-build-it-yourself/1968-pumped-up-toolbox-projects
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:13:04 am »
That is nice Denny. Have you seen the Ammo-box pump?

My only worry is the housing projecting from the tool-box. Drop it and CRASH... broken. I can modify this to my preferences however.

A new head is only $30 but still...

AHBS sent me two of the 1/2 poly couplings. Somehow one was the wrong size (more like 1") and they are sending me out a replacement.