Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US 05?  (Read 13809 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: US 05?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 10:14:52 pm »
Thanks to everyone who put in their thoughts. I bought 2 packs if S05 and am planning on going with 1.5 or 2 packs. Still not sure, please convince me...

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 11:59:21 pm »
go for both. if the packets are older you're not overpitching that much. (or maybe not at all. Apparently depending on the source of info ;))
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 09:23:45 am »
Fun Fact.  Safale says their US-05 has 7B cells per gram of yeast, so a packet should have about 70b cells.  Other well respected authorities on yeast say that an 11.5G package of US-05 have 200B cells.

Beersmith is quoting the safale info
Mrmalty uses Jamil Z's info

Which is right?  I had this discussion with a customer a few days ago, i trust Jamil Z over some unknown frenchman.  Where do you guys weigh in?

Safale factoid Page for us-05http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf
Jamil Z's info (cant find the reference atm, but MRmalty suggests 1G of dry yeast has about 18B cells in it)

Unless Jamil and other have actually done a real cell count, I trust the manufacturer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 09:51:43 am »
The Fermentis data sheet says ">" 6B/g. I am guessing that is a minimum based the stated product shelf life.

However, without some study there is no way to know how much more you might find in a sachet based on manufacture date.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 10:00:03 am »
Fun Fact.  Safale says their US-05 has 7B cells per gram of yeast, so a packet should have about 70b cells.  Other well respected authorities on yeast say that an 11.5G package of US-05 have 200B cells.

Beersmith is quoting the safale info
Mrmalty uses Jamil Z's info

Which is right?  I had this discussion with a customer a few days ago, i trust Jamil Z over some unknown frenchman.  Where do you guys weigh in?

Safale factoid Page for us-05http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf
Jamil Z's info (cant find the reference atm, but MRmalty suggests 1G of dry yeast has about 18B cells in it)

Unless Jamil and other have actually done a real cell count, I trust the manufacturer.

I agree Denny, but i know i read something with Jamil stating he did multiple cell counts, I just cant find it.

Edit:Found it.

"Some exciting work has been done on dry yeast lately. Reports are coming in of better quality, cleaner dry yeast. Personally, I really prefer the liquid yeasts, but the lure of dry yeast is strong. The biggest benefit is that it is cheap and does not require a starter. In fact, with most dry yeasts, placing them in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into the yeast. Most dry yeast has an average cell density of 20 billion cells per gram. You would need about 9.5 grams of dry yeast if you were pitching into 5.5 gallons of 1.048 wort to get the proper cell counts. (Recently there have been other numbers mentioned for cells/gram of dry yeast and folks have asked me why I believe there are 20 billion cells. I've actually done cell counts on dry yeast and they're always 20 billion per gram +/- less than a billion. Dr. Clayton Cone has also stated that there are 20 billion per gram, and other folks I trust tell me that 20 billion is correct. Until I see something different, practical experience tells me this number is correct.) For dry yeasts, just do a proper rehydration in tap water, do not do a starter. "

Page
http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:01:49 am by Jeff M »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!