Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 10 Barrel American Radler SWILL  (Read 4104 times)

Offline RevLeonidas

• 1st Kit
10 Barrel American Radler SWILL
« on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:15 am »
The homebrewed beer which won Best of Show for the 2014 COHO Spring Fling in Bend, Oregon was a Gueuze, which was a very enjoyable sour ale: I finished my sample; given this, I had hoped that I could find a commercial sour ale which had similar deliciousness.
So, my lovely wife and I decided to try American Radler Swill by 10 Barrel Brewing Co.
ABV 4.5%, color: pale straw
Beautiful pour which displays a thick frothy head; it is a tad hazy.
The aroma is full of sweet, tart fruity smells like sour raisins, plums, cherries, and a little apple and banana.
The flavor is an overbearing, cloyingly sweet wreck! Very little sour flavor, no hop flavor or bitterness. The sweetness overtakes everything. I can not drink this!
The beer's medium carbonation and big malt profile provide a full mouth feel, but again, the overbearing sweetness gets this beer poured on the lawn.
Great idea 10 Barrel, but poor execution. The time has come for an Oregon sour beer of some sort; let's hope that 10 Barrel Brewing Co. puts its best resources to fixing this Swill.

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
Re: 10 Barrel American Radler SWILL
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:14:10 am »
Radlers definitely tend to be sweeter rather than sour. By most generally accepted definitions a radler is half lager/half lemonade. Cascade Brewing in Portland on SE Belmont makes some of the best sour beers available. If you like sours you owe it to yourself to hit up their barrel house. They always have between 8-10 sours on tap.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:36 am »
The time has come for an Oregon sour beer of some sort

Wait...what?

Oregon has lots of good sour beer options.

I think the problem you have is that you picked a radler, which is a blend of beer and lemonade. Not a sour beer.

Are you currently in or around Bend? If so, here are some suggestions for sour beer: 10 Barrel has a good berlinerweisse; Crux has several sours; Deschutes might have one of their sour beers at either the pub or production facility; Bend Brewing has a good berlinerweisse; and Ale Apothecary has fantastic sours but they are pricey and you'll have to hunt them down in some of the shops. I'm sure there are others around town you could find.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline RevLeonidas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:56:26 am »
Radlers definitely tend to be sweeter rather than sour. By most generally accepted definitions a radler is half lager/half lemonade.

This is good to know; this would have altered my expectations, not my thing either way: great lawn food! My zymology is all about Reinheitsgebot anyways, sour beers might squeek their way in, but it's nothing we desire.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:14:53 am »
Here, found that Oregon sour beer for you..

http://www.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com/

Agree with all of the other previous posters.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:07:46 pm »
Radlers definitely tend to be sweeter rather than sour. By most generally accepted definitions a radler is half lager/half lemonade. Cascade Brewing in Portland on SE Belmont makes some of the best sour beers available. If you like sours you owe it to yourself to hit up their barrel house. They always have between 8-10 sours on tap.
Where I lived in Germany (Hesse) citronade was what we call lemonade. Lemonade wad a citrusy carbonated soft drink along the lines of 7-Up or Sprite. The Radler I tried tasted like Helles and Sprite.

The France paragraph is equivalent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemonade

Old Horst calls it lemonade at first but if you read down he says lemon soda, and says you can make your own by mixing beer and lemon soda.
http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Radler.html

A British born woman down the street once talked about how she was confused when she had "cider" here for the first time. She was expecting an alcoholic drink, not fresh pressed apple juice.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:53:33 pm »
I'm always heard shandy referring to beer/lemonade and radler referring to beer/lemon-lime soda. So that makes sense.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:16:36 pm »
I'm always heard shandy referring to beer/lemonade and radler referring to beer/lemon-lime soda. So that makes sense.

I learned about shandy from British and Australians and it was always lemon-lime soda and beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »
Aha. So maybe carbonation is irrelevant and it's just two different origins.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 06:56:32 pm »
Here, found that Oregon sour beer for you..

http://www.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com/

Agree with all of the other previous posters.

Cascade is consistently the most sour of the American sours.  They make great  high gravity, barrel aged sour fruit beers.  They do a secondary fermentation on fruit for several months with Lacto Brevis in various barrels.  Good luck finding L. Brevis at the homebrew store.   

A Radler should be as tart as a can of Squirt with a hint of malt and have a 2-3% abv.  A Radler isn't a sour beer.  It's a tart beer that tastes like soda pop. I've tried two German Radlers and they tasted great.  Then I realized I paid $2.50 for a can of beer that tasted like lemon SanPelligrino soda and it would never get me drunk.   :-\

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »
I wonder if farmhouse in odell would do the trick. Seems like Logsdon would know how to do it.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 06:39:02 am »
I'm laughing because you didn't think the SWILL was good enough.  :o
AHA Member since 2006

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 08:23:06 am »
I wonder if farmhouse in odell would do the trick. Seems like Logsdon would know how to do it.

Logsdon's sours are excellent if you can find them.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 11:17:59 am »
I'll be driving by the brewery saturday to grab the grandson. Hopefully the door will be open.