Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My opinion on Mangrover Jack's Workhorse yeast  (Read 3313 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
My opinion on Mangrover Jack's Workhorse yeast
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:00:29 am »
This yeast does provide a good clean flavor profile. However it is a low attenuator. My Summer Wheat beer went from 1.050 to 1.016 and my International IPA went from 1.065 to 1.022. I think this would be a great yeast to use for a good clean very malty tasting beer but it is a very poor choice for an IPA. IPAs are supposed to be somewhat dry and really showcase the hops. I am going to stick with Nottingham yeast for my IPAs from now on.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My opinion on Mangrover Jack's Workhorse yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:55:14 am »
Good to hear.  A company I'm working with to design some kits wanted to use that yeast.  Based on other reports, I discouraged them and now I'm really glad I did!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:47:01 pm »

Good to hear.  A company I'm working with to design some kits wanted to use that yeast.  Based on other reports, I discouraged them and now I'm really glad I did!
You have your fingers everywhere Denny.

Good to see you sharing your knowledge and skills with commercial enterprises too.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 01:05:13 pm »

You have your fingers everywhere Denny.

Good to see you sharing your knowledge and skills with commercial enterprises too.

I'm happy to...that's what it's all about.  I was approached by a large wholesaler who will put out kits of 4 of my most popular recipes.  They're introducing them at NHC with the beers.  That means I have to brew 2 batches each of 4 different recipes next week!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 02:13:01 pm »
That is wonderful. You also should have your name on it.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 08:31:43 am »
That is wonderful. You also should have your name on it.

That's the plan.  They want them to be "signature" kits.  Now, if they'd only offer me some $$!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:59:45 pm »
Ahh the money. Hope you negotiated something up front because you can not trademark/copyright the recipe.

Or you will be just famous,  poor and happy.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 01:56:04 pm »
Ahh the money. Hope you negotiated something up front because you can not trademark/copyright the recipe.

Or you will be just famous,  poor and happy.

That's the status quo..might as well maintain it!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 02:37:27 pm »
Ata boy.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 11:14:01 am »
Agree with the Mangrove Jack's yeast. Workhorse never attenuated below 1.016 for me either. And their other yeasts...same results except for the Bohemian lager yeast, which attenuated to 1.014 in an Oktoberfest and a Schwarzbier. I will never be using their yeast again and discourage it's use to anyone.
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 11:59:08 am »
I had the same results in a cream ale with 2lb of flaked maize. 1.049 OG and only 66% attenuation. I do like the flavor and think it would be good for a very low abv beer.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 07:37:32 am »
I had the same results in a cream ale with 2lb of flaked maize. 1.049 OG and only 66% attenuation. I do like the flavor and think it would be good for a very low abv beer.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Edit - after kegging and carbing, I don't like the flavor. A bit of acetylaldehyde, not lager-y at all. I'm hoping some cold conditioning will improve it. Grrr.  I would have been better off using US-05 and cold conditioning.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 11:44:41 pm »
I am going to stick with Nottingham yeast for my IPAs from now on.
Really?  Of course each to his own, but personally I so much prefer US-05 from among the standard dry yeasts, for IPAs and pale ales, fermented low 60's ramped up eventually to maybe 65F.  I'm not a big fan of Nottingham or S-04.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 08:05:58 pm »
I am going to stick with Nottingham yeast for my IPAs from now on.
Really?  Of course each to his own, but personally I so much prefer US-05 from among the standard dry yeasts, for IPAs and pale ales, fermented low 60's ramped up eventually to maybe 65F.  I'm not a big fan of Nottingham or S-04.
I'm firmly in the Nottingham > US-05 camp myself.  I just seem to end up with a cleaner tasting beer with it.  Though if you don't control your ferment I could see issues with Nottingham as it can get kind of out of hand.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 10:13:06 pm »
Interesting!  This makes sense given that I used Nottingham only maybe three times, and in my earlier brewing years, when I definitely fermented numerous beers too warm, based on ambient temps.  After a couple with Nottingham with ferments where beer temp probably went as high as 73F, I just stopped using it.  So, no wonder my complaint is that it was never clean enough tasting..., in fact made it a chore to drink the beer.

Sounds like I should try it again, now that I temp control my ferments, and keep IPAs/PAs cool-side fermented.